Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fixing up my whole loft over these past few days and I must have made the new door a tad too big because when I bent down to fix something on the ground I heard one of my cock birds fly above me and out. I immediately looked up and saw that it was my red cock bird that took off. He is always been a really loud flier and makes a lot of noises with his wings. He has already been out many times but as I looked up the darn hawk was right after him. I was quite mad because it is always that female hawk that stays around and attacks my birds, out of nowhere. I already had it attack five of my birds, two which escaped and three she took victim. I've had all my birds in for the past couple of weeks and this cock bird just escapes and gets taken. They both flew over the trees and out of my sight...but i am pretty sure he got eaten. I need help of how to get rid of the hawk because she is a dam fine hunter and knows where my pigeons are living. I wonder if she will migrate away in the spring or will I have troubles still. I never had this much trouble in the past years but will somebody give me ideas on how to get rid of this hawk, I've tried CD's but it seems to not do much.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What type of hawk?

Sorry to hear about the loss buddy. Is the hawk a Coopers hawk? If so, its too small to fly off with a fighting, flapping live pigeon.

I have saved 3 pigeons by getting on the mountain bike and making chase. Don't make the same mistake I did by looking towards the sky when searching. I lost one of my favorites pigeons this way. Scan the ground. I learned this the hard way.

The pigeon I lost was smart enough to fly back to my garage and was killed no more than 20ft away in the grass. I had been searching for it on the bike for 10 or so minutes and came back to the house a couple of times. If I had been looking down instead of scanning roof tops and the sky, I'd still have my pigeon.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Is the hawk a Coopers hawk? If so, its too small to fly off with a fighting, flapping live pigeon.
Hey BlackSheep, this is most definately not true. Coopers may look small, but that is skin deep. An adult Coopers is capable of killing and hauling off a medium sized chicken. :eek:

So sorry about your loss, Pigeonx! :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey BlackSheep, this is most definately not true. Coopers may look small, but that is skin deep. An adult Coopers is capable of killing and hauling off a medium sized chicken. :eek:

So sorry about your loss, Pigeonx! :(
Although I've yet to wittness it, I'm sure it happens. Especially with nature, anything is possible. Thinking back, I had a German Owl (homer size) get snatched and the Coopers flew about 20 ft with it before the owl started to flap and was released from the grip of the hawk. However, the owl was pirched on the kids jungle jim.

I have also see the hawk fly off with one of my British Show Racers (larger than a homer). The BSR was completely dead at ground level. The hawk could only get about 2 ft off the ground and I was able to catch up and retreive the dead pigeon.

A large open area would benefit a coopers in flying off with a pigeon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My husband uses bottle rockets to scare them off, since it is illegal to hurt them. It seems to work. When the pigeons here them they know its time to come in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had an instance where coopers hawk took off with one of my young birds and I chase the hawk down my neighbors yard, When I finally got close enough to the hawk it took off once again with my bird but when I caught up to them once again the hawk finally got off my bird and I grabbed her but she was injured severely. If I do get an attack in my yard which is fenced off I would probably be able to scare off the hawk easier but if my pigeon that got attacked took off once the hawk releases it, the hawk may chase after my bird once its out of my reach. I think that there are some advantages to having a fenced yard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts