Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i buy wild bird seed mix from the feed mill, they don't have pigeon feed. what can i add to it? black oil sunflower, cracked corn, thistle seed etc, grit or does grit need to be separate? grit from the feed store or sand and gravel from the road? i have no clue. never bought feed yet. still haven't got any birds. just trying to get all my pigeons in a row.... lol thanks for all the help and insight. -Chris

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
look for a standard mix if you can find one. If not wild mix, will do if that is all you can get. mix in safflower, and more oil sunflower to get the protein up.
I do think if you look around you will find a supplier of pigeon feeds. I have to drive 1/2 hour to get to any feed store that carries pigeon mix. I think there is some risk with the wild bird mix, since i do not think it is monitored as close. Feed a lot of grit, and in its own container. Dave

·
Registered
393 Posts
Chris, I have a friend who used to fly in the East Moline club, I don't think that's too far from you?Check them out on the ARPU site. If you can get in contact with any of those guy's, I'm sure they would be more that willing to help you. I'm digging around for my recipe...Which was basicaly maple pea's, milo, corn and hard wheat and a little flax. It's the proportions I can't find, I'm digging!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Chris that is right about what i pay, last time is was like 22.00, but i went with a no corn, safflower instead, mix. get your grit from the feed store, you will not have to pay for shipping. Buy the red Grit, if they carry it. Believe it or not unless you live near very GOOD feed store it will be cheaper to by it by the bag.. Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That grit will last you a long time, but I did notice a picture of a chicken. I thought that chicken grit is different than pigeon grit based on their size. Hopefully the rocks are not that big for pigeons to swallow.
well i dont know looks like gravel to me. will sand work too? its in a inside bird cage feeder, look at the screw head to compare size.

-chris

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i left a 30" long chick feeder in there where its dry and out of the way of droppings. after this weekend ill get a pan and try to feed them at the same time to get them in a cycle.

if i remove the food, i mean not leave food in there all the time. how long should i leave a pan? 30mins and ill walk away so i dont spook them. dont think there used to me yet.

also if i feed that way, should i do it once or twice a day?

can they eat suet? -chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.