Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we went to pick up a grizzle of mine who was lost about 15-20 miles south of us. You can tell it had some diarrhea, and it's lost a lot of weight, but otherwise it's alert and looks perfetly healthy. Got 'her' in a separate cage to fatten it up and get everything back to normal.
The man who was 'found' by the bird :p his granddaughter named it Sassy. So I guess that name shall stick :) Very nice people, and they all got attached to Sassy. So I told them once my Satinettes start raising and I get a pair of babies, they can have them :) Soooo...I just might have gotten some more people into the pigeon hobby :D And as always, the racing sport fascinated them.

Other than 3 hawk attacks in a row earlier, today was a pretty good day!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats great Becky, hope ol' sassy learned her lesson. do you breed many gizzle birds?
I hope so too!

I ended up with quite a few grizzles this year. Breeder-wise I have one pair of hetero. grizzles, a ****. grizzle mated to a normal bird, a hetero. grizzle hen mated to a normal bird, and I had another het. grizzle cock I had mated to a normal hen, but that one got out :rolleyes: I was going to sell him anyways, but I would have rather had him in a new home than out in the wilderness! :eek:
Oh! Plus back early in the year, I let my OBs raise a round. I had a grizzle hen that raised some grizzles herself, and since I really loved that bird, I fostered a couple more clutches of hers under other pairs. So yes, LOTS of grizzles this year! But I just love the color, so that's not a bad thing! :D

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HI BECKEY, Great to hear that you got another bird back. How far from home was she and how far from the release point was she?GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spirit wings,
Will do :)

George,
Well let's see. The release point was 40 miles north of the loft. And she was about 15 south of the loft. So she got to fly at least 55 miles altogether. She had quite a trip! Lots of people training from up this way, so I'm not surprised. Plus with dove season and all, probably confused the heck out of her.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Renee, this is off topic in this thread, but here goes: I have a double inbred President hen, she has been here nearly 2 weeks, and she is still wild as a march hare. You seem to have a gift for relaxing birds. I don't know whether to put her in with the cocks hoping this would help her if she had a boyfriend or what? If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I would even offer to ship her to you to give her a good home, since I wasn't blessed with the gift that you do to calm birds like you have.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Renee, this is off topic in this thread, but here goes: I have a double inbred President hen, she has been here nearly 2 weeks, and she is still wild as a march hare. You seem to have a gift for relaxing birds. I don't know whether to put her in with the cocks hoping this would help her if she had a boyfriend or what? If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I would even offer to ship her to you to give her a good home, since I wasn't blessed with the gift that you do to calm birds like you have.
My birds get tamed by me sitting and watching them. They get use to me being around but not always bugging them. That and peanuts seem to work for me.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
So glad you got your bird back. Pretty cool that you met some potential new pigeon folks, too. Way to go, offering them one of your fancy babies as a pet!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I find that that birds that are raised in my loft OR brought here as babies are a little tamer than outside adult birds.
I don't have any secrets and don't think I have any special "gift"........just do what Big T said. Make sure to spend time with the birds OTHER than feeding them or training or catching them to do whatever. I sit and do nothing. Maybe talk to them but don't try to catch or even touch them. In time, most will come around, however, there are some high strung birds that will never ever be tame or anything close to tame. I've got a family of those. Even as babies, they pop and peck and carry on and are as wild as the day is long and NOTHING I've ever done has calmed any of them down.
That being said, my wildest birds are calmer when sitting on a nest of eggs or babies. By calm, I mean, they don't try to fly away, but they'll wing slap the crap out of me in a New York minute. :rolleyes:

G

·
Becky Im thinking maybe you should start tossing your birds with cab fair just incase they get a flat on their way home heheee:p

G

·
I find that that birds that are raised in my loft OR brought here as babies are a little tamer than outside adult birds.
I don't have any secrets and don't think I have any special "gift"........just do what Big T said. Make sure to spend time with the birds OTHER than feeding them or training or catching them to do whatever. I sit and do nothing. Maybe talk to them but don't try to catch or even touch them. In time, most will come around, however, there are some high strung birds that will never ever be tame or anything close to tame. I've got a family of those. Even as babies, they pop and peck and carry on and are as wild as the day is long and NOTHING I've ever done has calmed any of them down.
That being said, my wildest birds are calmer when sitting on a nest of eggs or babies. By calm, I mean, they don't try to fly away, but they'll wing slap the crap out of me in a New York minute. :rolleyes:

I agree crazy birds are crazy birds for life but they do settle down to a point with time and their own space to do so ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL. Yes. I need to give them little cell phones with GPS too :p
This is the...4th bird I've gotten back so far. Lucky 7, 799 (who flew back before the guy could catch him, thankfully), 759 who was trapped by another club member, and Sassy. But I'm glad to get them back!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts