Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooter has always had alot of "water" in his poops ( since he was weaned) I wasn't too concerned during the hot weather because he drank alot of water then. He is a busy, seemingly healthy, pink mouth and throat, eats well, plays well, flies well etc etc - but has a large clear fluid component to his poops. I am a bit concerned that he may be missing important intestinal flora because he was hand fed from about 11 days old onward. These pictures are kind of splatted becaue he was up on his perch, and the water is absorbed by the newspaper. If he needs to increase his friendly intestinal flora where do I get it and how do I give it? Thanks for your input.
. poops 001.jpg

poops 002.jpg

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think they can improve, try organic apple cider vinegar in his water, that can help and add enzymes and probiotcs too... benebac sells a gel, you can put a pea size dollop on your finger and use your finger to scrape it on the roof of his beak and he should swallow it, or you can get powderd probiotics from drug store or health food store and put a dab of olive oil on his feed and coat the powder on his seed, but do not let it sit for too long, do that a few times a week... what is his diet?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ive posted this before i think but mixing natural yogurt with their food will help the gut and you will see results in 24 hours.I mix just 2 tea spoons of it .Once they get the taste for it they will readily eat it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ive posted this before i think but mixing natural yogurt with their food will help the gut and you will see results in 24 hours.I mix just 2 tea spoons of it .Once they get the taste for it they will readily eat it.
I know you do this and if it works great, but I tend to stay away from dairy with birds, I have been told dairy can cause digestive upset...but would not not try it if one says it has worked for them..

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know you do this and if it works great, but I tend to stay away from dairy with birds, I have been told dairy can cause digestive upset...but would not not try it if one says it has worked for them..
I was a bit dubious when i was told of it from an old fella who had been using it for years., but hed never let me down before and these old guys i have a lot of time and respect for as they have had alot more experience and knowledge than me.Its probably not everyones cup of tea though i can appreciate that.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
This might be from something as simple as too much protean percenbtage in his diet, which can adversely effect the kidneys.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooter gets a mix of pigeon seeds and grains in one dish (11% protein), a dish of pigeon pellets (14 % protein) and a dish of grit, and a bowl of water. He seems fine - but I was a bit concerned about his poops having so much liquid. I put a few drops of organic ACV in his water 2 times a week too. I'll check out the health food store for probiotic powder - I asked the local vet about benebac and they didn't have a clue - so I guess that means some online shopping. I have probiotic yougurt here too - so maybe I'll offer some of that too. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Cooter gets a mix of pigeon seeds and grains in one dish (11% protein), a dish of pigeon pellets (14 % protein) and a dish of grit, and a bowl of water. He seems fine - but I was a bit concerned about his poops having so much liquid. I put a few drops of organic ACV in his water 2 times a week too. I'll check out the health food store for probiotic powder - I asked the local vet about benebac and they didn't have a clue - so I guess that means some online shopping. I have probiotic yougurt here too - so maybe I'll offer some of that too. Thanks everyone.
Here is just one link to find it, These days a vet should know what it is or just ask for probiotics recommendation, Here where I work it is recommended after a course of anitbiotics on a regular basis and bene-bac gel is one that is recommended by our Vets here.. so Im real surprized they never heard of it.. makes you wonder....
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAg#

l

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is Canada - LOL - and was talking to the 'regular' Vet - not the Avian Vet that is an 1 1/2 hour away. She is away right now anyway :) Cooter is such a love and I want to make sure that I do everything I can to make sure that he stays as healthy as possible :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This is Canada - LOL - and was talking to the 'regular' Vet - not the Avian Vet that is an 1 1/2 hour away. She is away right now anyway :) Cooter is such a love and I want to make sure that I do everything I can to make sure that he stays as healthy as possible :)
oh ,ok, our vets here are regular vets also, this is a pet product not just for birds.. any vet at this point should know and recommend probiotics,if they do not have one they use or recommend they need to perhaps modernize their practice... being in Cananda I find it hard to believe they are not up to par as the same as the US... but then again I don't live there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts