Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some of you remeber the white pigeon I received from the wildlife center whom I treated with everything under the sun and he still died after a week. Well now I have the youngster feral whom I received together with the white one, he is very sick . My guess is he has the same thing going on, whatever it is. He was kept together with the white one when I received him.
He stopped eating and his poops are orange sticky and runny (the white one didn't have that) and he just doesn't look good.
Baytril and Flagyl didn't help the white one, so I am wondering what to start on this little one. Doxyxyline?
I ordered spartrix and appertex but they won't get here till Tuesday I think.
I don't want to loose this little one too. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reti

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Do you have Ivermectine, I would treat him for worms. Put ACV in the water and start syringe feeding.
Any other symptoms?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He received Ivomec when the white bird received it. He didn't eliminate any worms that I could see.

Could be young bird sickness. I don't have adonosan don't know where I could get it fast enough to get him started on.
The symptoms do fit. Only his poops are not greenish but orange, bright orange and very slimy.

Reti

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mindy.

I just noticed that he also developed conjunctivitis in his right eye.
This bird is very sick. I started him on doxycycline.

Reti

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Doxy sounds good choice when you have conjuctivitis as one of the symptoms. It is usually sign of respiratory infection. I would use coloidal silver for the eye and couple of drops in throat too on daily bases.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Sure would be nice if you could get him on an injectable... but if oral's all you got then it'll have to do. One of my vets told me that they don't keep that stuff around anymore (injectable Doxycycline, or "Vibramycin") so it's probably gotten pretty hard to come by.

Pidgey

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input.

I will apply colloidal silver too.

The only antibiotics I have injectable is Baytril and Cefazoline.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Reti, I'm sorry to hear about this new sick bird, only thing I can add is loads of nutiriton and probiotics, and I'm sure you are already doing that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as always....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Reti, I'm sorry to hear about this new sick bird, only thing I can add is loads of nutiriton and probiotics, and I'm sure you are already doing that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as always....
Nutrition is fine, but probiotic while on Doxy won't work. I would run 5~7 days course of Doxy, 2 day on probiotic and vitamins and repeat Doxy.
Actually you can estimate his condition after 3~4 days if Doxy has effect.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you.

I think I am loosing him, he seems even worse today. I am doing all I can but I have a feeling this is a virus.
Even though I fed him last night this morning he has no droppings in his cage, just some more orange slyme and he is lethargic. His breathing seem more laboured too.

Reti

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Reti, use warm water and try to massage vent, are you sure it is not egg problem? Is that yolk pouring from the back, if yes try enema with warm water. Nothing to loose situation if is so bad.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sure s/he has no egg problems, it is a baby, still has the dinosaur beak and is still squeaking.
The other eye seems like is getting affected too.

He had a bigger poop when I handled him to medicate him. Looked kind of slimey too and dark brown with more orange around it.

Reti

1 - 14 of 14 Posts