Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for taking in these lucky pigeons. I'm sure you and your wife are already in love with them. :)Your loft looks very nice, the pigeons must be feeling pretty grateful right about now--great food, great home, great people to care for them! Please feel free to ask any questions you think of. The grit should be available at all times for them. For feed, it is recommended around one tablespoon per pigeon, twice a day, though I would free-feed them for awhile until they're back to 100%. Just make sure to use deep-sided feeders, in order to avoid seed spillage, as it attracts rodents (who can cause disease) and to avoid spending extra money on seed. They will probably be gobbling up the best seeds first, which at this point is okay until they get their health back. Then down the line, you can try feeding them as much as they will eat in about fifteen minutes (including the "not so favorite" seeds lol), twice a day. I have one aviary I do that in, and one they free-feed in all day since it has my disabled or elderly birds in it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thank you for taking in these lucky pigeons. I'm sure you and your wife are already in love with them. :)Your loft looks very nice, the pigeons must be feeling pretty grateful right about now--great food, great home, great people to care for them! Please feel free to ask any questions you think of. The grit should be available at all times for them. For feed, it is recommended around one teaspoon per pigeon, though I would free-feed them for awhile until they're back to 100%. Just make sure to use deep-sided feeders, in order to avoid seed spillage, as it attracts rodents (who can cause disease) and to avoid spending extra money on seed. They will probably be gobbling up the best seeds first, which at this point is okay until they get their health back. Then down the line, you can try feeding them as much as they will eat in about fifteen minutes (including the "not so favorite" seeds lol), twice a day. I have one aviary I do that in, and one they free-feed in all day since it has my disabled or elderly birds in it. Good luck!!
Sorry, but if you feed them one teaspoon per pigeon, they'd starve to death.:confused:
I think it's more like 1 1/2 ounces, isn't it?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sorry, but if you feed them one teaspoon per pigeon, they'd starve to death.:confused:
I think it's more like 1 1/2 ounces, isn't it?
Oh, I'm sorry, that was supposed to be one tablespoon, twice a day. I'm tired. :p I corrected it, hopefully before someone went off to feed their birds a teaspoon. :eek: Or some recommend an ounce per bird. I don't measure exactly for mine, so I'm not sure, personally. Again, this is only after they are at full health. Let me see if I can find the recent thread about how much to feed. . .here it is! Hopefully this is more helpful:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=36366&highlight=feed

And thanks for catching that, Jay3!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Final got the pics of the finished avairy & our babys.

Much to my surprise, I came home today to see that the mated couple (that i thought was gay) actually had made there own nest out of the pine needles i gave them & had an egg. Were gonna have a baby!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Final got the pics of the finished avairy & our babys.

Much to my surprise, I came home today to see that the mated couple (that i thought was gay) actually had made there own nest out of the pine needles i gave them & had an egg. Were gonna have a baby!!
Congratulations! Now, if you get 4 eggs.......then you'll know you've got two hens mated. Not sure what you thought you had before.
Anyway.....write down the date that the eggs are laid. You'll wish you had later on, believe me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Congratulations! Now, if you get 4 eggs.......then you'll know you've got two hens mated. Not sure what you thought you had before.
Anyway.....write down the date that the eggs are laid. You'll wish you had later on, believe me.
Noted: I'll mark this date, Thank you. Is it atall odd that she only laid one, thought it was most common for 2 at once?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
No. She wouldn't lay them the same day. You should get another one in the next couple of days though. Or, as Renee said, you could end up with four. LOL.
I had a pair, that when I got them, was told that one of them was definitely a male. They were together for a while, and never had more than 2 eggs at a time. Then another young male, Screech, started going into the nestbox, and stirring things up. I would stop him. He was after them all the time. I figured he was just trying to take their nest box. Well he kept it up, until he finally won over my pretty little hen, Autumn. Then I was displeased with him for breaking up the pair. And I felt sorry for Storm, the beautiful black male, as he had lost his mate to Screech. Storm stayed alone for a while, until another young male starting courting him. And they ended up together. Storm turned out to be a hen also. So I had two hens that had paired up. Actually, it worked out well, as I thought I'd have to acquire two more hens for my young males. I was very glad that I hadn't named him George, as Stormy can go either way. For a male or female name. You just never know. Sometimes, you get a definate feel as to whether they are male or female, but you can never be sure. I always thought that Stormy was kinda layed back and quiet for a male. Now I know why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Very intresting, my wife & I havent even had a chance to name them yet. Guess we also will need to get either-way names just incase. thanks for the help.

Edit: now that ive got some better pics of our birds, does everyone still feel that these are feril pigeons. There is no bands & Im not about to speak with that prior owner. Its not really impotent we love them nomatter what kind they are, just curious.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Where are the pictures?
Oh, sorry. You mean the pictures in the aviary. Have to go look closer.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'd say yes, they're ferral. They're beautiful birds, but they are not homers. I have some ferrals, and mine are beautiful as well.
Why do you not want to just ask the guy. Are you planning to let them out?

·
Registered
499 Posts
how many birds did you end up with??,what is their health statis,.the previous owner used them for target practice,and dog training,.godbless you for recieving these magnificent creatures,..sounds like you were in the right place at the right time or this person would have killed them all,..some people have got to be held accountable this is what drives animal activitists(peta),puts them right over the edge,..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
how many birds did you end up with??,what is their health statis,.the previous owner used them for target practice,and dog training,.godbless you for recieving these magnificent creatures,..sounds like you were in the right place at the right time or this person would have killed them all,..some people have got to be held accountable this is what drives animal activitists(peta),puts them right over the edge,..sincerely james waller
How do you know they were used for dog training and target practice? Do you know where they came from? Someone mentioned that they COULD have been used to train dogs. Don't know if that's the case or not. I certainly hope not.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I don't think we should jump to conclusions here. It's quite clear that whatever they are, they're not homers. They have that feral look to them. But some people simply do not care what kind of pigeons they are, they just like them. I've heard of many people getting into the hobby because of some ferals they found and raised. That could always be the case :) And hopefully this case isn't negative!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should separate them, just in case. Do you have any perches for them? If not, it would be a good idea to get them some. My birds always sleep on their perches.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts