Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haha! You're so right--I thought charging her up might help her grow. I just checked her serial number and realized she's an iPidgeXS, not the iPidgeXL like I ordered! Mystery solved! Thanks for the humor!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Congratulations oN the new addition to your family. You don’t need to worry about temperatures - even in the extremes. I kept pigeons in an unheated loft for many years. I’m in New England, and the temperature would be below zero in the winter, up to 100 degrees in the summer. Pigeons are very adaptable to temperature, after they are old enough to leave the nest. The only caution I have about temperature, is they don’t do well with sudden changes of temperature. If you have the bird in your personal living space, it will be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol!

I tried to remove my stupid remark and glad you got the humor. Really, it is a street pigeon and it looks like a bird from this year and is molting out. When it feathers in, it will be beautiful. I notice you have the wings cut, so that explains the docile appearance. It can live with you, and if you pick up a cock, you can be assured they will have babies that cannot be released because they wont know how to live in the wild. Yours probably does, but you're feeding it and you will feed them. If you have a set of babies, swear to have no more if you are living urban. Just take the eggs away after they lay them. Google FEED STORE and find a feed store in your area that sells pigeon feed and pigeon grit. The bird needs both and fresh water each day. My advise, keep it as a single bird. Single boys are trouble, and hens are fine, even if alone. Just give it plenty of attention. And get a pigeon diaper for in the house. Coo? Cool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks so much for the advice, ptras! I really appreciate it--I'm a very nervous first time owner and love knowing what's okay and what to avoid (in this case, big temperature changes--I did not know this before!)
Hah, citybird, I found it very funny! Good eyes--her wings are clipped pretty poorly, but we don't plan on clipping her again. We did it ourselves because she was sight-impaired when she came to us. We clipped them just so she wouldn't fly into things accidentally. It turns out, her sight (and aim) is better than we thought! She can definitely see enough to safely fly around her room (we live in a small, city apartment, but this bird still gets her own room--she graciously allows us to sleep in it). Thank you as well for the advice--I completely agree, pigeon diaper is a must, haha! Oh, and another great point--no squabs til we move out of the city (now I just have to convince my husband to move and let me build an aviary...)!
Thanks to you both! My pigeon also says thanks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts