Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lost homer landed at my neighbor's house. It hung around all day and before they understood that this bird was in need of help, their dogs got to it. They put in it a wire dog cage on a table on their patio and I guess were going to see if it survived.
They talked to me (because they know I have an aviary with 5 rescue pigeons). I tracked down the racing club a couple of towns over, etc. and it looked like the owner was going to pick it up in the next day.

They had described the injuries to me and I couldn't just let it sit there and suffer so I took it to a bird vet. It had punctures from the dogs' teeth and seemed to have a broken wing and/or leg.The infection in the punctures was already so progressed that it looked like the bird would not survive, so I just wanted to make it comfortable and give it a chance.
After the vet, I returned the bird to them with oral antibiotics, pain medicine, and instructions to put neosporin in the punctures. I showed them how to give meds, help it drink, etc.

The vet did not think the leg or wing is broken, but I was already paying over $200 for the exam, meds, etc and couldn't come up with another $250+ they wanted for xrays. At that point, they still believed the owner was coming to get it and that it wouldn't survive the nasty infection.

Well, now it's 10 days later and I have the bird again for two days. The owner never showed and my neighbors have been faithfully giving it the medicine 2x/day. They went out of town this weekend and asked me to bird sit.
The puncture wounds seem to be healing well. The problem is the bird's leg. It is bent back and the foot doesn't grasp well. The bird topples over and can only scoot a bit. The vet had thoroughly examined the wing and leg and did not think anything was broken. Unfortunately, the poor bird still cannot use its leg and can barely move at all.

This is not my bird. I am caring for it until tomorrow when they return. My neighbors already think I'm crazy for what I spent on the bird (without them asking me to). Also, I am not in a position to take care of it even if they gave it to me.
The same vet is open today and I could try to take it in for a followup, but honestly, I still can't afford the xrays and even the office visit will be a huge stretch financially. The vet seemed to think that, if it survived the infection from the punctures, its leg would heal by then. He felt no breaks anywhere, but said there could be a dislocation or sprain up inside where it is hard to feel.

I don't know what to do. Its current life alone in a dog crate on a table on their back patio seems miserable. It can barely move. I think I just prolonged its agony. Ugh.

Does anyone have any advice for how to help its leg heal? Is there anything that can be done to brace it (like with splay)? It's already been 10 days since the injury. Is there something the vet could do if I can even get in to see him today?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that the bird can move its injured leg and foot. It is much weaker than the good one and is behind it as if the bird is taking a step.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Could you please post a photo? Our first pigeon had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated. Thank you for helping him! Pigeons are tough and could survive with even one leg. I have seen pelicans with only one foot. But please post a photo. I know sometimes the leg can be fixed. But bones heal quickly so dont know if wrapping will help. If you are in Austin hope you missed the recent deluge. I have relatives near you. If you dont want to keep tge bird there may be a rescue there too. I was worried about our pigeons quality of life but she healed nicely and was our love and seemed quite happy for eight years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the neighbor came back early, then left again. (Helping hurricane-hit family). I now have the bird again for a couple of days.

The puncture wounds continue to heal well. Yay! Today is day 14 of the antibiotics and its poops look surprisingly good considering.

Unfortunately, it still can't get around very well. I imagine it must be in pain, but don't really know how to tell.
Here are two pix. You can see it lists to one side. It always holds the injured leg back a bit. Even though it can't put much weight on it, the bird manages to get around its cage to eat, drink, sit by the mirror, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
That leg looks a lot better than I was expecting. I have 2 pigeons with limited use of their legs, and they get around just fine when they have room to fly. Both look much worse when they're just standing around; one mostly perches on one leg and the other can only stand on flat surfaces or in her basket. Even with a bad wing, I don't think he'll be too miserable in an aviary

I wouldn't wrap the leg without knowing the nature of the injury.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts