Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained at a sale a small sealed wooden case with a glass front. The case is made of wood with a glass front and the dimensions are 10 Inches wide x 13 Inches Tall x 4 inches deep. This case actually resembles a shadow box. The inside back of this case has a partial map of France glued to it. There are three racing pigeon drawings which are printed on what appears to be cardboard glued to the map by a small block behind each bird. These pigeon drawings are glued near places named on the map. The top bird is near a place called Nonancourt, the middle bird is near a place called Chartres and the bottome bird near a place called Artenay. On one side of the case (inside) there are what appear to be three tags (from feed??) affixed with string. On the bottom inside the case is a wooden block which is about 1-1/2 inch square with a string tied around it. The number "6" is outlined in red paint on the block and there are some papers under the block. All these are glued. Since the case is sealed I can't tell what is written on the pieces of paper. Also, on each side and top and bottom inside the case are notes on lined paper which is also glued to the case. Although not completely ledgeable, top printed to note iseems to be "6 Lundi S. Gervais" and then a hand written entry. On one of the sides there are two entries although one is covered by the tags mentioned above. The second printing on this side is "LUNDA S Barthelmy 236" with four hand written notes names under it. On the bottome iof the box inside, is a printing "2 JEUDI Visitation de Notre Dame" with one handwritten note under it. On the other side is printed "JUILLE 25 SAMEDI S Jacqes Majeur" with hadwritten notes under that printing. Also on this same side is what appears to be a postage stamp on a piece of paper that has some printing on it. Beneith this piece of paper is printed "26 DIMANCHE Ste Anne" with some notes written under this printing.

I am thinking that this is something from the finish of a race??

Please excuse the lenghty description and any information is appreciated.

· Registered
11,439 Posts
The only thing I can do is help translate some french.
Lundi means Monday, Jeudi is Thursday, Samedi is Saturday, Dimanche is Sunday. Juillet is July...so maybe that's what Juille means too :confused:
I haven't had French in almost a year so I'm kinda rusty :p

I'm thinking this could just be shadow box someone made just for memories sake. But I have no idea, that's just a guess :p I'm also guessing those pigeons on the map where three release points and the papers were notes on the results :confused: Maybe the feed tags were what they were feeding at the time?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My initial thought was that the box was made like Becky mentions, for a keepsake but I had never seen anything like it before so thought I would solicit input. Kinda strange, at least I think so, since this was in French and I got it here in the USA. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

· Registered
880 Posts
from what you say and describe,,i saw something similar at a racing pigeon memoribila exhibition in glasgow recently,maybe a long shot,,but there is a pigeon museum in germany,im sorry i cant remember what it is called,but they may be able to advise you on it,it sounds real interesting!

· Registered
4,082 Posts
I agree with Becky. And they probably brought that to Notre Dame. Can you post a picture? Maybe you can search Ebay for info.

It could be of some religious significance as well. Or even weather almanac?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photos relating to my initial post.

Finally used up a roll of film and got it developed. Here are some photos of the sealed wooden case I was asking about. I hope this gives all a better understanding of of it. Sorry about the photo quality.

· Guardian Angel
4,194 Posts
Well I know no FRENCH I think that there is a second date june second the three birds are race birds this and the map lead me to believe it has some thing to do with early racing history is there a year posted any where on this box like the mid 1800's. What I would do is send some pictures to the Racing Pigeon Digest and or the Pure Bred Pigeon magazines i think they would run those pictures and we just might get an answer. One other thing this just might have some value so be careful with it and don't let it out of your hands.I will cut it short as I want to look over those picture again GEORGE;)

· Guardian Angel
4,194 Posts
Early Racing History ?

The three tags i believe are not feed tags but seem to be shipping tags I can make out a name on the first tag ANDRE BLONDEL now as I see it there is one bird that may have been sent to three different cities on June 2 and again on JULY 25 I wish we had an other date i realy believe this may go back to 1860 -1880 in the early days of pigeon racing. I sure would love to have this item it looks like early racing history to me. GEORGE;)

· Guardian Angel
4,194 Posts
I Went back over the posts and I am in error on 2 jeudi as BECKEY pointed out jeudi is Tuesday it may be the time that the bird was released 2oclock Tuesday July 25. "I
Love a Mystery" when I was a youngster we had an radio show by that name
GEORGE;)

· Registered
754 Posts
box

Wow what a way to look back in history, today it would be on a cd in a box. I like how you can see the build of the birds that were used during this time. I had to laugh though, maybe you should contact Nicolas Cage on this one, there could be a clue to riches under one of the pigeons:D

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for the time you all have taken to comment on this. It seems to get more interesting each time I log on to read what has been posted. Mystry? That is just what it is to me and I'll try to think of other sources for information. I will value any other additional suggestion at to who I might contact. Guess I could take it apart and get better photos but I hate to do that.

· Registered
11,439 Posts
Wait Wait Wait! I'm typing a long research response as I speak in another window. I think I may have solved a little bit of this :p I just have to retype it all because my computer killed it the first time. :mad:

· Registered
11,439 Posts
I have great reason to believe this all has to do with religion. Or maybe the fancier was just very religious. Here we go, focusing on each date.

I believe this all took place in July.

"2 Jeudi Visitation de Notre Dame".
The celebration of the Visitation takes place on July 2nd. Notre Dame was a Catholic Church in Paris. So in English, it could be read as Thursday the 2nd, Visitation of Notre Dame. Either they visited the church, liberated there, or it has to do with the holiday.

"6 Lundi S. Gervais". If you look on a calendar and count from Thursday the 2nd, to Monday the 6th, it fits! Or at least, if these dates were in the same month.
There is a Church in Paris as well called Saint Gervais Church. It isn't far from Notre Dame.

"JUILLE 25 SAMEDI S Jacqes Majeur". Juillet 25 Samedi = Saturday, July 25th.
Look what I found. Look at the name in the top corner! It matches :p
I was so excited about the match, that I found a site to translate what it says. http://www.magnificat.ca/cal/fran/07-25.htm

"HOLY JACQUES THE MAJOR Apostle (+ towards the year 44)

Holy Jacques the Major, son of Zébédée and of Salomé, was brother of holy John the Evangelist. One nicknamed it the Major one, to distinguish it Apostle of the same nicknamed name the Minor, that was bishop of Jerusalem. It was Galilée and came to the world twelve years before Jesus Christ. It exercised the profession of fisherman, as well as his father and John, his brother. A day that they cleaned their nets in a small boat on the edges of the lake of Génésareth, Jesus called the two brothers; to the instant, leaving their small boat and their father, they gaze at themselves to His continuation and soon were aggregated to the high school of the Apostles.

The choice that Jesus did the two brothers to be, with Rock, witnesses of His Transfiguration, and late of His prayer to the Garden of the Olive Trees, shows enough affection of which It honored them. After the dispersion of the Apostles, Jacques the Major one came in Spain, of which God destined it to do the conquest. It traversed it in all direction and fertilized it of its sweats; but it not put to convert that nine disciples. Are not isn't that right a consolation subject for the preachers of which the efforts always crowned success? God pleases Himself thus to test Its envoys; they sow, of others will collect the harvest.

Remainder, Jacques had a big consolation: the Holy Virgin, living again, appeared for him and asked for him to construct, in His honor, a chapel that would be a protection for Spain. The Holy Virgin has many proved times since to the Spaniards that they were under His safeguard.

Holy Jacques came back to Jerusalem, there preached the faith of Jesus Christ and converts a lot of persons. The apostle won to Jesus Christ two wizards that had looked for to confuse it by their devilish art. A day that it preached, a riot, prepared in advance, raised itself against him; one drove it to the governor Hérode, while saying: "It seduces the people, it deserves the death." Hérode, man without conscience, aiming before all to please, ordered to split the head to the holy Apostle.

The glorious martyr belonged to Spain, that it had evangelized. His mortal remains there was driven by some disciples. It is not maybe to the world a former pilgrimage more celebrates than the one of Holy jacques of Compostelle. Holy Jacques often defender of it the Spain against the Saracens.

Abbot L. Jaud, Life of the Saints for everyday year, Turns, Mame, 1950."

"26 DIMANCHE Ste Anne". 26 Dimanche = Sunday, the 26th.
The feast day of Saint Anne is held on July 26th. Now there is a Ste Anne church in America, but I'm sure there's probably one in France as well, since this appears to take place in France. If anything else, it could just be referring to the celebration date.

As for "Lunda S Barthelmy 236", this was all I could find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Barthélemy
At least it's French though! Haha.

Soooo, either this doesn't have much to do with races, or perhaps the race stations were held at religious points. OR maybe they had races anywhere, but the person writing titled his/her notes with the dates, as well as the 'holidays' associated with them. Maybe we just had a religious person who liked pigeons? :p

What do you guys think?

· Registered
11,439 Posts
Also, something I just noticed, is if you look at THIS YEARS calendar, the 2009 July month matches the dates perfectly of whatever year those notes came from. So you can see the Thursday, Monday, Saturday, and Sunday match up right, leaving me 100% sure everything really did take place in July.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.