Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dawned me on a while ago, I've seen bird houses for various birds, i.e. standard backyard song birds and even ones for owls....anyone ever thought of building a bird house for feral pigeons?

just a thought...;)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Just dawned me on a while ago, I've seen bird houses for various birds, i.e. standard backyard song birds and even ones for owls....anyone ever thought of building a bird house for feral pigeons?

just a thought...;)
Sounds like a wonderful project!!!:)

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
I have a nestbox on my balcony which is used by my resident pair (who have been there nearly four years), and I dutifully change their eggs for plastic ones.

Pigeons can be contrary, though. whatever is provided. I have a couple other sheltered places where pigeons could easily nest, but my other resident pair insist on building nests over the grill of the drain no matter how many times I remove them.

I do think it's a good method of control, though. Nesting sites which can be accessed to change eggs, but not where people can harm the pigeons, can work well. The main problem, I believe, is that city councils (or the private sector) mostly just cannot be bothered with it.

John

·
Registered
822 Posts
We have two dovecotes in the garden which some of the pairs nest in, I think we have then set too low and too close to the fence and so the bird prefer the shed. They are big bird houses, not sure if you have them in the US, here's a photo of each one-

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would this work?

Just a question....would a wooden crate used for shipping/holding wine make a good 'nest box' for a pair of ferals?

got several crates in the garage that are a good size and they're a little deep on the inside.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Add a nest bowl and some nesting material, and put it in concealed area like a dark corner.
Thanks, I'll put some nesting material in it. Though There aren;t any dark corners per'se on the balcony but there are 2 spots that are covered so that will probably keep them dry if it rains.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have birds visiting the balcony? If so I am sure they will hop right in.
Not yet....though I think some had dropped in a few weeks back since I found a few pigeon feathers in different spots on the balcony.

I'll try putting some bird seed and the crate out there and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would thiss work?

Just a question...

I'm going to LA in May for 3 days or more so the house will probably be empty. I thought about setting the crate, some bird seed & water on the balcony before I leave...

think if the stuff is left alone for that amount of time, would a pair of pigeons come?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If they are in fact landing on your balcony they will definably start feeding and if it is a pair with no nest they may take up residence.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts