Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for telling me...well I guess I'll find out when I try it...

Today's the first day of spring!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I thought about building a large bird house for pigeons, Trying to attract them to my backyard, there were quite a few flying around the neighborhood.
We had a birdfeeder and we attracted a couple of ringnecked doves, and morning doves. It was nice that they came and visited.
Then when we wanted to buy a parakeet from a guy, we went there and he also had a few breeds of fancy pigeons, really neat!
Needless to say, we opted to own some very nice looking pigeons!
ND Cooper

·
Registered
173 Posts
What seems to work best in my neighbourhood is building something, and then trying to pigeon proof it. Do whatever you can to keep them out. It practically guarantees you a good-sized flock. :) That's how I got mine... of course, now I'd never try to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well apparently it's working cause I haven't seen any come by but then again I haven't set out any seeds or water yet.

I did set some seeds out a few months back in my first attempt at trying to attratcing them, found some seeds scattered on the balcony but never saw what birds got into them..

L

·
0 Posts
personally I think they are either there are they arent and if you have pigeons on your balcony already you might have a chance at then nesting there but if they arent then ummm you are better off just trying to attract some with seed first an once they are around you will have a better chance at getting some to nest there .. just my 35 an a half cents ;)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks, that helps...I guess if they start coming there for a 'free lunch' they might decide to move in.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Most likely...?

Got up at a little after 7:30 this morning something must've been goin' on outside case I could hear some grackles(type of black bird) outside as well as a turtle dove(mourning dove). But one thing that got my attention was a the sound of a pigeon on the roof. It kept making a "who-who" noise kind of like an owl.

I have been told by another member on this site, that it sounded like a male calling a female to lay...

2 things I thought about...

1. With a pigeon that close, maybe a pair would use the crate.

2. If a pair did use the crate and the parents rejected one of the babies for some reason...what can I do to help him or her.

The first thing that came to my mind would be to take it in

what do you think?:confused:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got up at a little after 7:30 this morning something must've been goin' on outside case I could hear some grackles(type of black bird) outside as well as a turtle dove(mourning dove). But one thing that got my attention was a the sound of a pigeon on the roof. It kept making a "who-who" noise kind of like an owl.

I have been told by another member on this site, that it sounded like a male calling a female to lay...

2. If a pair did use the crate and the parents rejected one of the babies for some reason...what can I do to help him or her.

what do you think?:confused:

Any comments?

*cricket chirping*

LOL just a joke.:p

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Q & A

Got up at a little after 7:30 last sunday something must've been goin' on outside case I could hear some grackles(type of black bird) outside as well as a turtle dove(mourning dove). But one thing that got my attention was a the sound of a pigeon on the roof. It kept making a "who-who" noise kind of like an owl.

also if I set out some seeds, water & the wooden crate do you think some pigeons might come?

I meant if the stuff was left out on the balcony for 3 days or more WITHOUT anyone bothering it?

I only ask cause I'm going to LA in August for 3 days or more the house will probably be empty during that time.

what do you think?:confused

21 - 33 of 33 Posts