Pigeon-Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I don't like it, but I just might have to try to like it now.
I was sent an interesting email today about how many people have found that eating asparagus has cured their cancer and kidney problems. Apparently the veggie contains things that bring cell growth back to normal and has the ability to help dissolve kidney stones! :eek:
My brother had Ewing's Sarcoma cancer back when I was in 2nd grade. They said it was strange because usually it is more of a children's cancer, and he was 28. So anything that can help prevent me or the rest of my family from getting cancer, is always great to find. And of course I have to share it with you guys, as you are my pigeon-loving family! :D

Here's the article :)
http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/asparagus.asp

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love asparagus, even planted it in my garden. It is good to know that it has benefits becides delicious.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Look up preparation of asparagus bed and plant you some. Unfortunately, my asparagus bed got ruined in a building project of mine, but I will make another. Fresh cut and prepared is beyond description it is so good. You check your bed and see a sprite breaking through the ground and the next day it is 3 or 4" long. It grows fast
Anyhow, it is worth the wait for your asparagus bed to produce.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Asparugus!! Asparagrose!! lol Well, I gess I could try to like it now that you say that.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mom has a juicer so I'm thinking...maybe she could mix up something that tastes okay with a few tablespoons of asparagus in it :p I told her about it, and I'm guessing we're going to have to eat it more often now. The B-17 sounds less icky, haha. I can live eating apple seeds and bitter almonds.

I was about to ask if eating the seeds and pits of those fruit suggested on the site, was really all that healthy due to any arsenic levels. But, I looked it up just now. Turns out apple seeds don't have arsenic like I originally thought, but they do have cyanide. You'd have to eat a lot of apple seeds at once in order for it to hurt you though. Most fruit except citrus do have arsenic or cyanide in the seeds/pits, but as long as you don't eat anymore of the seeds than you would the fruit, you should be okay.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Most asparagus you don't get any for one year, some is a couple depending whad kind you get. This is the second year mine has been in and it is still real thin and not a lot is growing so I am going to let it go to seed til next year. Luckily it is not hard to find wild asparagus growing around where I live. There is an old abandoned apple orchard about a mile from me that is state land now and it has a lot of it growing there, Plus all over in the ditches.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Thanks for the link. Veggies and fruits are good for anyone.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I read a book called The China Study which was a study conducted on diet and the effects it has on cancer growth- the results were surprising, it's most defiantly worth a read.

As for Asparagus... I hate the stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.