Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an adult male Grackle, leaning on his elbows in a busy parking lot...

Brought him home...seems 'dazed'...then panicky...but slowly coming round.

Anyway...any tips on care?

Lovely plumage...weight seems normal...no poops yet...

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a couple of starlings and I feed mine cat food and laying pellets mixed together. The cat food should have a main ingredient of chicken or turkey, not corn meal, or by products. Reti has a grackle, why don't you pm her and ask her what she feeds her. I'm pretty sure its cat food. Thanks for saving him. They are a pretty bird. min

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
You can also give him Watermelon, hard boiled egg and, what's called monkey bisquits, moistened. Water, of course...

They gape and that makes it easier to feed unless he can eat by himself.

If it's still hot there, Phil, you can also mist him...promotes preening.

Please keep us updated and ALL the BEST!!

With Love and Hugs

Shi :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This is info I've got:
Common Grackle has a wide diet, you can feed nearly anything. They feed mostly on insects, vegetables, and occasionally frogs, corn, mince, canned cat/dog food etc.
They also love clean, fresh birdbath.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i just love grackles, sassy just like a crow in little package.
they also like blueberries, corn and peas but the bulk of his diet should be animal based protein, like soaked cat or dog food, egg.
he would appreciate some mealworms or wax worms if you can get any.
i would put a small bowl of mixed seed in for him also
i put out dry dog food everyday, for the grackles and blue jays that visit my yard, they love it
is he acting normal now?? maybe he was stunned by a window strike
make sure when you release him you bring him back where you found him, his mate is waiting

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
They are very highly intelligent birds too. They love to try to figure things out. Watch that beak though they do have a very sharp bite! Mine eats damn near everything I eat. Little bits of fruit and he loves to pick and play with pieces of carrots, bugs, worms, They love corn. Hope he recovers good. Watch for the poops.... moistened dog or cat food is great for them. They love to play in water. Good Luck

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
will they eat even if found as an adult if they are in a cage? I had a cardinal that did eat as an adult his wing was broken, healed and released now, but was very glad he would eat in captivity, hope this one is the same. let us know how it goes. I bet he is a pretty thing. as altgirl said a crow in a small package...very cool.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Intelligent..indeed...

He got out of his' House' while I was out running errands...flew around the Shop very nimbly...and, appers to have self-released.

I was not able to catch him, even with all the Lights out.

Oh golly...

Well, HE felt he was good-to-go, anyway..!

Seemed very strong, very able...so, who knows why he seemed 'dazed' the other day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.