Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am posting again...after reading a lot, i realized my recent rescue has a severe case of splayed leg. it bends very backwards and the fledgeling is likely a month old/ maybe 2 tops.

I have tried foam and binding...the leg always turns backwards. I am not sure what to do as the fledgling seems to want to crawl on its knees , not using its feet at all ( feet facing backwards and up):(

Tim ( found at Tim Horton's Doughnut shop) as I call him/her is eating tons and has a full crop, starting to poop lots.:eek:

should I make a more firm brace? I tried a lot and the legs always end up wrong!

I have read all the pages on splayed leg but am not sure what to do, I dont think foam or taping will work here.:confused:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Why don't you send Feefo a message.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I believe all these links are here on P-T somewhere but didn't find them just now. Perhaps you will find some help in these.

Sometimes there is actually a dislocated joint, and if that is the case then the taping/hobbling approach won't work and will be very uncomfortable for the little bird with no chance of a successful outcome.

Terry

------------------------------------------
http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/
http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/PigeonResourceWeb/splayleg.html
Here's a link to some helpful pictures .. click on the one for splay leg ..

http://community.webshots.com/user/cyro51
http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/splaylegtreatments.htm
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/
http://www.cagenbird.com/splayed_leg.htm
Have to scroll down a bit for the splayed leg part:

http://www.thecozynest.com/pictures.htm

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Why don’t you fix this leg, as it is broken, firmly in the natural position as it should be, you can use piece of wire to make something like orthopedic cast. Then put the bird in the sock. You should make required openings in front and back for head and pooping. Hang the sock to something that will allow bird to touch surface with the feats but not to hold his full weight. I believe that as Terry said it may be dislocated joints and leg needs first to settle in the natural position. I have somewhere picture of the pigeon in the sock that I can post if you like.
Gille had post of something similar week or something ago (orthopedic chair or stand in his case).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi, thank you but the leg is not broken. it is twisted far backwards and I dont want to put too much pressure on the whole hip and leg. I have stabilized the hip but the foot still points backwards. I am certain this is splayed leg syndrome. there is a chance it was dislocated, but there is little I can do except try my best. vets here charge hundreds $$ for private treatment or euthanize street pigeons.

He is young and I am going to try something a bit firmer. he is managing with foam for now. tomorrow I am going to try pipecleaner wires to bring the two feet closer together. I think this little guy has never walked in his life! its amazing he is alive and survived fledging.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that said, maybe a firm frame of foam AND wire....hmmmmmm might work as he cant walk anyways....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that leg is broken neither. :)
My idea is based on the same principle as teeth straightening bracers. Teeth are not broken either. Slight pressure of bracers forces them to go to natural place.
Sock is to stop bird from falling.
Can you post a picture? Maybe some better idea will pop?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Why don't you send Feefo a message.
I am struggling with a similar case at the moment, this is a woodie and they are extremely squirmy so difficult to do much, they can cope with very little stress..... I am working on the same principle that plamenh has put forward, hoping to improve the position of the legs over time with gentle pressure.

If you scroll down this link you will see the sock effect being used on a collared dove with calcium deficiency (that can cause their legs and feet to twist) and on a pigeon with a broken leg.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/samantha.bedford/pigeons.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres an update...I strengthened the foam brace with a lot of stretchy bandaids to attempt to get his foot facing forward...he seems to be tolerating it well and is not in too much pain or stress ( hes eating well!!)

I understand its tough to correct, but I am determined to give this little guy a chance. he seems to attempt standing more than he did with the splay, so fingers crossed that he will at least be able to walk in future

here are the pics...does this look ok?? and here is him first day http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/injured-fledgeling-please-help-38655.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Looks good on the picture, as long as leg is fixed in parallel with normal one and foot faces forward it will work. It will take time of course but it is not so bad. This is purely mechanical process and that’s why all orthopedic devices look and function as designed by inquisition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, its very simple to fix. Just put leg bands on each leg and tie the bands together with a piece of string leave about an inch space betwen legs. Leave it on for a week or so, and he should be fine after that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Ok, its very simple to fix. Just put leg bands on each leg and tie the bands together with a piece of string leave about an inch space betwen legs. Leave it on for a week or so, and he should be fine after that. Good luck.
That is a possible sollution for slight cases of splay leg/s. But it may not useful in severely splayed leg/s, they have to be bound up for proper support and checked and retaped daily, every situation is different. I have rehabbed birds with different splayed legs, and each one was taped/bound up differently.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have rehabbed birds with different splayed legs, and each one was taped/bound up differently.
It is the person that is handling the bird that can see exactly what is happening with the leg. It takes a lot of patience from the rescuer and the bird to work out a solution.

But it is interesting to see the various methods that people have tried. I keep seing approaches that I haven't tried yet. It all helps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
legs together does not work...as this is very severe, the leg wants to twist backwards HARD. I re-tape every day and check . there is a sponge and flexible medical tape. but still both legs twist sideways....and sores had developed on the "good" leg...I have loosened the bandages and put bactryl cream on the sores.
( also thought string/ rubber bands were bad for birds circulation?)

poor dear is trying to use the feet but cannot walk or land. I am going to try for the next month. pigeon physio!

I dont know what to do with Tim if he cant ever walk :(

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Orthopedic correction

I’m sorry if I didn’t explain my idea well enough in the beginning.
Sores developed because of the mechanical pressure on the legs. Bird cannot balance correctly weight. Cream will help but if you not eliminate cause, they will not heal.
This was the reason I suggested to suspend bird in the sock.
You may consider making fixed wire or plastic frame for legs and foot.
1- To fix twisted leg in proper position
2- To fix frame to normal leg
Similar principle is used in humans.
I would develop something like these on the picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Well, I tried all sorts on my poor woodie, including the bendy straw , the sponge and the sock. Then I had yet another go at taping the legs together as I did with Gonzo and this time it worked, he is able to stand and walk on his feet instead of dragging his legs behind him and looks very relaxed. I saw him do a wing stretch for the first time today.

Next stage will be to straighten the feet, I have decided to use the "snow boot" on this one.

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It is amazing how birds quickly adapt to all sort of inquisition we put them through. Woodie is lucky to have you Cynthia otherwise it will be doomed. I wish him quick recovery.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not confident of doing that..i would be afraid of the pigeon strangling itself...and total immobilizing? you can explain it to a human, not to panic with wires strapped all around the body but feral pigeons...ummmmmm I am not handy with building complicated wire frames. how is the pigeon going to eat and drink?? sorry if I am not getting this

1 - 18 of 18 Posts