Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some input. Around 1.5 months ago a pigeon made a nest on a small window next to my balcony, and two small pigeons hatched. They are around 1 month old right now. Around 1 week ago one of the chicks disappeared, so only one is left.
Over the last two weeks the mother has been hanging around the nest, but she only gets into the nest in order to feed her offspring. Otherwise she's vigilant but not to be seen around here.

Up until yesterday everything seemed fine. However, yesterday for some reason two pigeons have been trying to (for what it seems) take over the nest up until nightfall. I had to run them off a few times, and otherwise for the most of the day the mother has been around protecting the nest and driving the pigeons away from it.
Today I caught the little fledgling being attacked (pecking to the back of the neck) by what I initially thought to be the mother. I had to drive her off, and as I type this the attacker is trying to attack the fledgling and the mother keeps running her off. So we have a 3rd attacker right now.

What is actually happening? I couldn't find much info on the internet and I grew attached to the pigeon. In a few hours I have an exam and I'd feel awful if something bad happened to the little pigeon while I'm away.

Here's a picture I took yesterday of the two invading pigeons waiting for a chance to get into the nest: http://imgur.com/9QazDYf

And here's a picture of the mother defending her offspring and the nest: http://imgur.com/QcIwsVZ

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome to PT and Thnx for caring for that young bird.
I hope everything stays okay when you come back from your exam.

Well,in nature nothing comes for free,one has to fight for it. The cock bird is the one who usually defends his turf more aggressively but yes females also get defensive. If one squab has already left then the second squab would also leave soon. Then the pairs may fight to take hold of the nest and the stronger will be the owner.

g'luck for your exam.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Some input. Around 1.5 months ago a pigeon made a nest on a small window next to my balcony, and two small pigeons hatched. They are around 1 month old right now. Around 1 week ago one of the chicks disappeared, so only one is left.
Over the last two weeks the mother has been hanging around the nest, but she only gets into the nest in order to feed her offspring. Otherwise she's vigilant but not to be seen around here.

Up until yesterday everything seemed fine. However, yesterday for some reason two pigeons have been trying to (for what it seems) take over the nest up until nightfall. I had to run them off a few times, and otherwise for the most of the day the mother has been around protecting the nest and driving the pigeons away from it.
Today I caught the little fledgling being attacked (pecking to the back of the neck) by what I initially thought to be the mother. I had to drive her off, and as I type this the attacker is trying to attack the fledgling and the mother keeps running her off. So we have a 3rd attacker right now.

What is actually happening? I couldn't find much info on the internet and I grew attached to the pigeon. In a few hours I have an exam and I'd feel awful if something bad happened to the little pigeon while I'm away.

Here's a picture I took yesterday of the two invading pigeons waiting for a chance to get into the nest: http://imgur.com/9QazDYf

And here's a picture of the mother defending her offspring and the nest: http://imgur.com/QcIwsVZ
yes they"nest wars" are a common thing esp where nest sites are a premium.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Usually its the cock bird who does most of the feeding when squabs are this old. So he may be out to gather feed and the other pair found a chance to capitalise. Pls keep an eye on the squab and be ready if the squab need your help if the other pair kick him out of the nest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts