Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we noticed we have an unwelcome visitor (CAT) hanging around our yard and it has definately noticed the birds. I usually don't have problems like cats,racoons etc because we have a 105 lb dog that keeps them away but this guy doesn't seem to care. It looks well cared for so I don't think it is a feral but must be coming from some distance since we don't have any neighbors close by.
I am wondering if paintballs are made with a non-toxic paint and if so do you think it would seriously injure the cat or just sting his little butt. I don't want to really hurt someones pet but would like to send a message that he is NOT welcome here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry, I'm an animal lover. Maybe he's lost and can't find his way home. Why don't you catch him and put an ad in the local paper, alert the nearest shelter, etc, rather than shoot at him. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If you don't have any neighbors close by, are you sure it wasn't "dump" off and hungry? :(
If thats NOT the case - I had a neighbors cat hanging around my loft and jumping at the screen scaring my birds years ago (well fed and I knew the neighbor owned it). I have a "pump action" (shot gun style) water gun that shoots a large stream of water approximately 30 feet. I only had to use it twice and he got the message. BUT, he did continue to watch the birds from HIS yard! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK wait a minute you are obviously misunderstanding me!! I clearly said that I DID NOT want to hurt him! Which is why I was asking about this I have been looking for a way to shoo him away but NOT hurt him. I would never hurt a cat I have 4 myself BUT I keep mine inside!!
I didn't mean I live miles and miles away from people, my house is pretty far out in the woods and the closest neighbor would be about 1/2 to 1 mile away but I know he doesn't belong to them.
The only reason I asked about paintballs is that IF it wouldn't hurt him, when he got home it's owners would think twice about letting him out. There are leash laws for cats as well as dogs.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
OK wait a minute you are obviously misunderstanding me!! I clearly said that I DID NOT want to hurt him! Which is why I was asking about this I have been looking for a way to shoo him away but NOT hurt him. I would never hurt a cat I have 4 myself BUT I keep mine inside!!
I didn't mean I live miles and miles away from people, my house is pretty far out in the woods and the closest neighbor would be about 1/2 to 1 mile away but I know he doesn't belong to them.
The only reason I asked about paintballs is that IF it wouldn't hurt him, when he got home it's owners would think twice about letting him out. There are leash laws for cats as well as dogs.
I didn't misunderstand you - I fully understand that you do NOT want to hurt it.
If YOUR cat got out and got lost would you want someone to "shoo" it away OR take it in and try to find the owner?
But if I KNOW the cat has a home - I use my HUGE water rifle :)

And btw, I use it on my OWN cats if they bother the birds in the house!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly don't think he is lost, I am almost positive he is from the neighborhood on the other side of my woods since that is the direction he always comes and leaves from. All the times we have seen him he certainly doesn't look like he has missed a single meal. If I thought for a second he was lost or a stray I would take him in, that is how I got 2 of my 4 cats. One we found in a dumpster and one was dropped off on our front porch (different house).
The only reason I asked about paintballs rather than the garden hose or water gun as you suggested is so the owner would be aware and then if we heard that someone was complaining that their cat got paintballed we would step up and explain that is was us and why.
Even though there are leash laws for cats nobody obeys them. Even my in-laws (neighbors) act as though it is their cats god given right to wander wherever he wants. She has even gone so far as to tell me I am cruel for having indoor cats until....... I gave her an article I found at my vets office clearly stating the opposite.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If YOUR cat got out and got lost would you want someone to "shoo" it away OR take it in and try to find the owner?
That was my point too. If you're that far from your neighbours, that's quite a distance for a cat to go every day, back and forth. I'd hate to think that some little girl or boy was crying themselves to sleep every night wondering where their cat is? Shooting at it might solve your problem, but it won't solve the cat's problem or the cat's owner's problem.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I honestly don't think he is lost, I am almost positive he is from the neighborhood on the other side of my woods since that is the direction he always comes and leaves from. All the times we have seen him he certainly doesn't look like he has missed a single meal. If I thought for a second he was lost or a stray I would take him in, that is how I got 2 of my 4 cats. One we found in a dumpster and one was dropped off on our front porch (different house).
The only reason I asked about paintballs rather than the garden hose or water gun as you suggested is so the owner would be aware and then if we heard that someone was complaining that their cat got paintballed we would step up and explain that is was us and why.
Even though there are leash laws for cats nobody obeys them. Even my in-laws (neighbors) act as though it is their cats god given right to wander wherever he wants. She has even gone so far as to tell me I am cruel for having indoor cats until....... I gave her an article I found at my vets office clearly stating the opposite.
I live in the woods also, and my 3 cats are strictly INDOOR cats. Outdoor cats in my area are coyote food! :(
But I can't answer you about paint balls toxicity. sorry
I don't even have to "shoot" my cats anymore - all I have to to is pick up my water rifle and they scatter!! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I don't think 6-10 acres is too far. Growing up my parents let our cat out and it used to wander a good 15 acres daily. That and it hasn't been here every day, maybe 2-3 times in the last week or so.
Peg N Peter I HAVE NOT shot at anything with a paintball or even a water gun. I came out of my house and saw a cat lurking around my pigeon lofts, I yelled, waved my arms and chased it away, thats it! I think that is a pretty natural reaction, I'm certainly not going to pet or reward it when it is eyeballin my birds.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well since I live in the middle of a neighborhood I used to gets cats in the garden a lot. All I did was chuck a rock at something close to it, so that it makes a noise. And I never saw the same cat twice ever again. Something more easier to use: a cap gun. You know those toy guns that you put those red things in, and they go bang bang but don't do any harm other than noise? Try using them to scare them away.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.schylling.com/TF06-update/CG-2.jpg

They come in different models and don't do anything other than noise and a little smoke :) Totally harmless and it should send the message to the cat.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
With regard to finding out whether paintballs are toxic or not, you're probably going to get yes and no answers. :rolleyes:

The bottom line, is shooting a cat with one a good idea? NO it isn't.
And yes, I'm sure they have the potential of doing a pretty good job of injuring a small animal.

Cindy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Are paintballs toxic?
No they are not. Paintballs are essentially a hard protein shells with a water based solution inside. The shell is similar to Jell-O, and made by the same people (Encapsulators) that make "Gel cap" pills . The paint is made from water based materials, dyes, and proteins and is so non toxic that it can be eaten, although it does not taste very good.

http://www.crossfirepb.net/faq.html#Are_paintballs_toxic

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With regard to finding out whether paintballs are toxic or not, you're probably going to get yes and no answers. :rolleyes:

The bottom line, is shooting a cat with one a good idea? NO it isn't.
And yes, I'm sure they have the potential of doing a pretty good job of injuring a small animal.

Cindy
That is what I was really wondering as I have never used one. I asked a couple of guys who play with them if it hurt and they said it stings a little but....... neither is the sharpest tool in the shed so I wasn't sure if they meant bee sting or if that was tough guy talk for it hurts like hell.
I wasn't looking to hurt him or make small children cry. We were just hoping the cat would equate visits here with big orange splotches on his rear end.
Heck if I could find a way to attach a note to him to bring home to it's owners I would.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The link provided above states

Does it Hurt to get hit?
It depends. The pain from getting hit is about the same as getting snapped by a towel. Depending on where you are hit, it will hurt for a moment, but usually goes away after a few minutes. If the paintball hits bare skin, and you are at close range it may break the skin. Some minor bruising is usually common the day afterwards, but will go away in time.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
That is what I was really wondering as I have never used one.
* I asked a couple of guys who play with them if it hurt and they said it stings a little but....... neither is the sharpest tool in the shed so I wasn't sure if they meant bee sting or if that was tough guy talk for it hurts like hell.
* That was probably 'tough guy talk'. :p

A few years ago my son went to one of those 'paintball' places with a couple of his cousins. I have no idea what the rules are as far as where one can be shot at, but my son was shot in the forehead and he had a knot the size of an egg and a nasty headache for a few days. :( He's no small guy, 6'1" and weighs 200 lbs. And he said it did hurt like hell.
That was his first and last time playing that game. :p

I can only imagine what a hit like that could do to a small animal. :(

Cindy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't they wear helmets and masks?? They do on TV LOL!! I would imagine that shooting someone in the forehead has got to be against the rules.
Obviously since it will injure him it is out of the question, like I said wasn't looking to hurt him just maybe humiliate him a little, they are such vain little creatures.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
One sure way to find out is get someone to shoot you with some. :p

Personally (and seriously) I would not do this. Not only are you running the risk of damaging a cat's eyes, body, etc., but I expect it would be pretty traumatic for them getting the paint off them too. There has to be a kinder way to solve this problem.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I saw in the stores somewhere that you can get cat repellents or something :S Might wanna check those out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts