Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering acquiring two homing pigeons for grandsons and am wondering if there are any diseases or parasites peculiar to birds that can be transmitted to humans?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How old are the children?

·
Registered
628 Posts
My children have been handling and helping take care of pigeons since they were 5 yrs. old. It is a great thing to have children around pigeons as it teaches them to appreciate the life of something and teaches them responsibility. It also helps the family to do things together which so many families dont do anymore.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm pretty much a child/teenager, and I own 8 pigeons. With me spending ALOT of time out there, my opinion is that they are deffinatly safe.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They are safe, but depending on the age of the children, an adult should supervise and take on the responsibility of the birds. Don't know how old they are, just know that children are not always responsible enough to take on the care of an animal. How old are the children?

G

·
well if they dont mind getting a wing in the face here and there at feeding time I guess they should be safe lol :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
My son started helping me with our first pigeon " Dovey" when he was 12. Over that time I have instructed him about bird/animal care. I even read him the book " Pigeons" by Andrew Blechman. When I am out working, he checks on the birds, and knows what to look for. I think it's a great learning experience, just start out small.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I contacted the CDC today with questions pertaining to this matter.

What I was told was as long as the children are not putting pigeon dropping in there mouth or hands that have handled or contacted pigeons or dropping in there mouth.

My son is two yrs old and wouldn't put dropping in his mouth and doesn't handle birds yet. But he does get his hands dirty and tends to put his hands in his mouth at times. You have to make sure that you have sanitation wipes available and that your childrens hands are clean most of the time and before allowing tem to eat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Same rules apply as a cat or dog pet. Except I have never seen on the news where a pigeon attacked a child!!!! The old saying " Cleanliness is next to Godliness" is true. I have several grandaughters, the middle one is the smallest. She is also the fastest. She is always the one to help catch my pigeons up for a race. Good luck

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Guys, this thread was from Aug. 2009. He either did get the birds by now, or didn't. LOL.:D

·
Registered
478 Posts
The dust from the birds can be harmful (Pigeon Breeders Lung). As long as the loft is kept clean and dust kept to a minimum it should be OK.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Everyone does that at some time or other. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts