·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Secrets of Pigeons
posted by Megan [in www.care2.com], selected from Ode magazine May 12, 2010

By Tijn Touber, Ode Magazine

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-secrets-of-pigeons.html

Rupert Sheldrake looks for answers to the inexplicable behaviours of animals — including humans.

How to pigeons always manage to fly straight home, no matter where they are dropped? How do they find their way back even if they’ve been sedated and taken hundreds of kilometres in a black box? How do they do it when they have been transported in a pen spinning 90 revolutions a minute? Do they smell their way home? No, even when their smell nerve has been severed, they still make it home safely.

Most scientists ignore such questions. But the British biochemist Rupert Scheldrake, educated at Cambridge and Harvard, is fascinated by the inexplicable behaviour of animals. Sheldrake, believes that information – memory – is not stored in the brain. He speaks of a ‘morphogenetic’ field: a web of memory that connects generations of creatures so that the experiences of one are beneficial to all.
Click on link to read rest of article.

Larry

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That field is so very interesting and it will be foremost in the future--I have no proof of this but I really feel its on the right track and this holds for humans too. For a long time I thought they were guided home by sun rays somehow and this is still up in the air. Then I have read articles where it is land marks but that doesn't explain when they hide their sight and this is going to be a new field--look at the computers and what they can do and this is only in the last 30 to 40 years---just think when this field takes off--teleacommunication--teleapathy ( I can.t spell any of these things but you know what I mean.) universal knowledge---talk about a warning system---our world is just fascinating to say the least and this will certainly open up new knowledge for the future. Now I do have a question back at you---think of it this way (in this vein)... example: You drive a car it can be small or large but when you turn the corner you almost feel the edge of the car and if it is a plane the pilot can almost feel the wings of the plane to keep it from hitting other stuff---a big ship--a submarine--assorted things different in size---we can actually reach out and feel beyond the ends of our fingertips and with larger things we reach further and further----even to God.....This is a new world coming with brand new ways of thinking...Thanks for sharing.....Larry Cologne........c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Now this thread really surprised me that no one added to it in two days. Of course I am behind the age but I would have thought that someone with new ideas of technological advances or articles would have contributed...What a surprise....c.hert

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi Larry, thanks for your very interesting thread. I am fascinated by the fact that whenever I release a pigeon back in to the wild, the pigeon inevitably can be found in the exact spot where it was rescued sometimes within hours.

One feral pigeon (with a amputated leg) flew 15miles back to the spot where I rescued it. I know racing pigeons can fly much further to get home but it is so exciting knowing that they have an amazing ability to navigate their way around. Also it is wonderful to know that they are surviving okay when released.

In the future we will probably learn more and hopefully there will be more articles written on this subject.

Jayne

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Domestic Cats and Dogs occasionaly show a similar skill...incidents of the pet accidently getting lose or left behind when a family moves or is travelling.

Many instances of the Cat or Dog, weeks later, months later, showing up, a little worse for wear maybe, but, having traversed hundreds, sometimes many hundreds of miles, to either get back home, or, in some instances, to find their people-family, even though the people were now in a new City and different Home, far from the original loaction and Home the pet had known.

There is more and other going on with these situations, than 'memory' in any usual sense of the term...even as War Pigeons, taken from a Mobile Loft, to be released somewhere else...in their returning, the Mobile loft meanwhile has moved tens of miles, even hundreds of miles, from where it was when the Pigeon was taken from it.

Because these examples have embarassed the postures assumed by most men of Science, they remained almost entirely ignored or perfunctorily dismissed as trivial, or, 'magnetite' in Animal's Brains allowing them to have an internal 'Compass'...which of course, has no applibility for finding your way to a location you have not been to before or do not have co-ordinates for, or, to one which has been moved hundreds of miles since you saw it last, let alone, that a Compass without a Map, and with no co-ordinates, is entirely useless to anyone, even Scientists.

I suspect we all posess possibilities feeling or knowing a sense of direction about 'where' something may be, of course...and, some more than others seem able to exercise it with success.

Explaining how this is done, is another matter.

Sadly, the politics of 'Science' by WWII, became that of denying or invalidating anything for which an explaination was not handy or convenient, or, was not handy or convenient to policies they were being coerced to embrace or acquiesce to...where, in prior decades, or in the 19th Century, even the most rigorous and formal people of the highest Technical and Theoretical acumen, as Scientists and as individuals, were comfortable to accept that many things which one could notice or observe, did not co-respond to any good-enough explainations Science had handy, and or represented very difficult problems to define succinctly enough, for conjectures to be constructed well enough to satisfy...or for repeatable experiments to be arranged.

Many Scientists up untill roughly WWII, were entirely happy to discuss Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Psychometry, an 'Afterlife', Re-Incarnation, seeing through Time, Intelligences from other parts of the observable and unobservable Universe, INtelligence of other Species, and endless else, because they had themselves experienced various these things, and thought they were very interesting dimensions of both the World, and, of human capacity and possibility.

But something happenned...and after that, anyone who wished to remain employed, funded, or not ridiculed or reviled, everyone pretty well shut up, or, joined the ranks of the deniers and ridiculers...or by now, long since came up through those ranks.

This remains so for the most part to-day.

So it is very nice to see someone of Mr, Sheldrake's calibre, gently ( and firmly ) pushing all of this weight of suppression, denial, politically expedient training of indifference or ridicule, and pre-judice, in constructive and friendly ways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.