Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if asphalt grindings would be good for an aviary floor

They would be about 3 inches deep. I am just wondering since I don't know if its okay if the pigeons peck at the asphalt, thank you!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It would be hard on their feet I beleive,and asphalt contains Tar which I don't think would be good very good for them either if they pecked and ate it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
In a way, it's safer for them just to peck on finished asphalt. I would think grindings would be pretty toxic, actually.

I also vote no.....;)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As others have said, it also contains Tar & Bitumen which is not healthy for the birds.
In a road situation, the tar and bitumen are not really a problem as birds peck at the asphalt on the road, but they are in fact pecking at the small granite chips & other grit which is broken off or dislodged by traffic, this is a source of grit for them & aids digestion, and the black tar & bitumen is not actually touched.
If it is ground down however, they may well ingest it which is not good for them and more than likely would coat the seeds and actually hinder digestion.
(Tar & Bitumen are actually soft unlike the grit & granite mixed with it to make ashpalt or tarmac)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking along the same lines, hence why I decided to ask here first before I went out and bought it.

I'm assuming large gravel or stones are fine though? I don't think it would be hard on their feet cause its not going to be sharp edged rocks or anything. I just can't use cement on the floor, and I don't want to leave it bare cause it could be easy for mice or rodents to dig in through, but with rocks, every time they'd start digging a hole, it would just cave right in.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You'll probably find that gravel & stones will actually make cleaning a nightmare (poop all mixed in) and it will harbour all manner of bugs ants spiders etc in the nooks & crannies.
The gravel & stones would need to be swept out & jet washed regularly.
(much the same as the gravel in an aquarium but on a much larger scale)
Why not just raise the floor, and use hardware cloth.
Poops could then drop through to something as simple as a removeable plastic sheet that could be hosed & replaced.
And the Aviary floor could be hosed through also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also one aspect that may have been over looked is that aspalt grindings are a petroleum based product. Its gives off vapor even if you cant smell it. Given the sensitive resportory system of birds in general this can prove extreamly harmful.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if asphalt grindings would be good for an aviary floor

They would be about 3 inches deep. I am just wondering since I don't know if its okay if the pigeons peck at the asphalt, thank you!
Hi Gurbir,Pigeon love to peck at things they would peck at these grindings and would eat some of these grindings, and you would have sick birds. Asphalt is oil based and I would say that you would be poisonlng your birds. GEORGE;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts