Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperate for advise / help that could help me save the life of my baby parlour tumbler.

The parents have proved to be not very good, as they have previously had two babies and abandoned them very early, unfortunately during the night and they have passed away by the morning.

The new baby is now 10 days old, I was hoping that since they had brought him up this far they would now be ready to be good parents, but 2 days ago I noticed they weren't sitting anywhere near the nest and that his crop was empty. I brought him in to warm him and hand feed him. He squeaked for food every 3 hours during the night and I fed him on demand.

The next morning, around middag, I took him back to the nest to see if his parents would start looking after him again, to my relief they both fed him. Towards the evening though I noticed that neither one was on the nest again and his body temperature was dropping so I brought him back inside to warm him up. Fortunately the parents had fed him so well that he slept through the night.

This morning I noticed, however, that his breathing was crackling and I am suspecting that he has Aspiration Pneumonia, actually as the day has gone on I am convinced thereof. His breathing is now very difficult. He hasn't squeaked all day and is not interested in feeding, although he has lapped at a bit of formula, but not much, then turns his head away.

Tonight he is pushing himself up on his feet almost lying on his back against the nest side. Occasionally he extends his neck, tilts his head far back and then as if he is knocking the back of his head, thrusts his head backwards and forwards.

I have administered dovabiotic this evening.

I am monitoring his body temperature and worry about dehydration, although the skin test still seems fine and he has some food in his crop.

I would appreciate any advise - I don't know what else I can do???

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have never treated this but have heard and read that antibiotic treatment is needed. I use Baytril for lung infections.

I hope your baby makes it.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hang in there. Other than keeping him/her on heat and administering the antibiotic, I also think that this is all you can do right now. Is the crop still passing food...and is she/he pooping at all ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jaye
Yes, Another thing I have been worrying about is that the digestive system shuts down, but she/he is still pooping, this appears normal (greenish with white top and a little water) not as solid as the adults, but considering that he/she has only had a little water today and mushy formula, I think that can be expected. So I'm assuming the crop is passing food. There isn't too much left in the crop, hoping that by the morning interest will pick up in food.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi TomP,

More likely, the Parents have been abandoning the Babys because the Parents are asymptomatic carriers of a Salmonella or Virus or other malady, which starts effecting the Babys at around ten or eleven or twelve days or whatever.

Pigeon Parents are typically very sensitive to the Baby's or Youngster's Health, and will stop feeding at what to them, are any indications of illness in the Baby/Youngster.

Aspiration Pnuemonia would usually occasion open-Beak Breathing and labored Breathing.

Various sicknesses, less so, usually...till the end is near.

Can you post some good images of the Youngster? and, close-ups of their freshest poops?

May as well see about getting some good, broad spectrum Antibiotics into him now...regardless of whether we have any clear diagnosis.

Do you have any Carnidazole or Metronidazole, also? If so, I would add one of those to his regimen, also.

Phil
Lv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts