Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I saw my next-door neighbour walk with a pigeon in his hands past my window as I love pigeons I went to see it

He told me it got attacked by his cat and he shooed the cat away

I decided to take in the bird in a effort to make it live
I think it’s in shock and its only a squab it has a head wound and some skin breaks doesn’t look all that serious but a little bit of blood no broken wings because it flaps when I pick it up id love to get it well enough to set it free
I just hope it doesn’t imprint on me because I have no were or much experience to keep a pigeon in the long term

It’s in my garage at the moment in a box with some water

I don’t want to take it to the vet last time I took a injured pigeon to the vet they put it down immediately

What should I do?
What do u thinks the chances is that it will live
I
Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You can start by cleaning the wounds with an antiseptic. Diluted peroxide or diluted betadine if you have.
Apply neosporin or silvadene on the wounds, make sure any of it doesn't get into his eyes.
The bird will need also antibiotics, most likely. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Thank you for rescuing the poor pigeon.

Reti

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for rescuing the youngster.

Where do you live, perhaps we can locate some help?

Check out this link first:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

Check out this link for resources to finding help:

http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm
i read all the links but it makes me worried because it hasnt drank anything in 2 hours and when i just checked on it it seems lathargic.. its alos pooing alot mostly water

and i live in trowbridge, wiltshire id much rather give it to someone who can help it more then i can =]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can start by cleaning the wounds with an antiseptic. Diluted peroxide or diluted betadine if you have.
Apply neosporin or silvadene on the wounds, make sure any of it doesn't get into his eyes.
The bird will need also antibiotics, most likely. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Thank you for rescuing the poor pigeon.

Reti
were could i buy antibiotics? and how could i give it to the poor thing
i think its eating because it had some seed in its mouth when i checked on it but i cant get it to drink and i dont want to do it with a syringe because im not skilled and i dont want to make a mistake and drown the poor thing

ive cleened the wounds with a bit of water when i got it the bleeding has slowed down almost to a stop now but ill go over them with antiseptic

i hate cats =[

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
i read all the links but it makes me worried because it hasnt drank anything in 2 hours and when i just checked on it it seems lathargic.. its alos pooing alot mostly water

and i live in trowbridge, wiltshire id much rather give it to someone who can help it more then i can =]
i think its eating because it had some seed in its mouth when i checked on it but i cant get it to drink and i dont want to do it with a syringe because im not skilled and i dont want to make a mistake and drown the poor thing
ive cleened the wounds with a bit of water when i got it the bleeding has slowed down almost to a stop now but ill go over them with antiseptic
Please note this excerpt from the following thread.
If the bird is alert, he may be rehydrated by mouth, using an eye dropper and putting drops along his beak every few minutes.
This process helps greatly to eliminate the bird getting too much liquids at one time. By putting a couple drops at a time alongside the beak (and repeating the process if need be), the bird will get some hydration. They can go without food for a bit, but hydration is vital.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Cindy

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Do you know what sort of pigeon it is?

Try contacting the Trowbridge Wildlife Rescue Centre, they might take pigeons...but please check that they won't automatically euthanase!

3 Yarnbrook Road
West Ashton
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 6AR
Telephone:
01225 777134

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do you know what sort of pigeon it is?

Try contacting the Trwobridge Wildlife Rescue Centre, they might take pigeons...but please check that they won't automatically euthanase!

3 Yarnbrook Road
West Ashton
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 6AR
Telephone:
01225 777134

Cynthia
No idia what kind it is just seems like a normal pigeon to me ill upload a picture if i figure out how =]

and ill go to that rescue center tomorow =]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
just a little update

i gave it a name lucky hopefully it will bring luck or somthing i dont know:p? worth a try rite?

anyway the important stuff

Thankfully its still alive =] and seems more awake, its had a drink and i made it drink through a syringe slowly

for some reason its crops gotten bigger i dont know why the food is untouched maybe its a defence thing? the wounds and swelling seem to of gone down a bit dosnt look so drematic now

im going to leave it alone for the rest of the night and hope for the best that lucky makes it through if he/she has made it ill be going to a rescue center and see what they can do for him/her

i think luckys chance of surviving is quite high as ive had it about 9 hours now =]

A Pigeon's Prayer

Please watch over us while we fly,
keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think its realy cute =]

ive collected some pigions in the last 5 years my parents wern't happy about it but let me rehabilitate them =] ive had 4, relesed 2, 1 turned into a pet hopefully lucky will get relesed =]

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It's great to have another regular rescuer on the forum!

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another update

thismorning when i went in the garage lucky was lying in his box with his wings spread and his head under one of them i feard for the worst but he/she is still alive just holding on =]

it ate all its food and i dont think it has drank since 10pm yesterday (gmt) obviously i force gave it water like i was advised.

but the only thing that concerns me is its feet are clenched and its quite warm and it cant keep its own head up =[ its sad to watch but hopefully when i get back from collage itl be a little better i hope

lil fighter this one =]

how would i give it water its not very alert?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am sorry, Lucky is in a very, very bad way. Please, if you can, get him to a sanctuary or a vet. There they an get fluids into him without risking inhalation (which will kill him) and treat him with antibiotics

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a sad update

unfortunatly lucky passed away in the last 3 hours he wasnt in pain when i left him so i hope he went peacefully poor thing =[

i hate cats so much now
i did'nt act quick enough to take him to the rescue center atleast hes in a better place now

thanks for all your help
until next time =]

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry the little one died. Please don't hate the cat though...we don't know if the cat caught it because it was already ill and after all, cats only follow their instincts, they can't ponder on whether it is right or wrong to catch a bird.

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am so sorry the little one died. Please don't hate the cat though...we don't know if the cat caught it because it was already ill and after all, cats only follow their instincts, they can't ponder on whether it is right or wrong to catch a bird.

Cynthia
i know its not the cats fault i still stroke the cat like every day

·
Registered
875 Posts
unfortunatly lucky passed away in the last 3 hours he wasnt in pain when i left him so i hope he went peacefully poor thing =[

i hate cats so much now
i did'nt act quick enough to take him to the rescue center atleast hes in a better place now

thanks for all your help
until next time =]

sorry to hear you lost him!it is always sad,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts