Pigeon-Talk banner

attacked by rat?

Tags
rat attack
2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Colombina 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I picked up a pigeon yesterday from the town, I could see one of its feet seemed bent back and was covered in black stuff, and also it was missing lots of feathers on its back, I initially thought it had hair/wire wrapped round its foot and had probably had older pigeons pecking at its back.

I intended to fetch it home unwrap the hair from its leg, put some cream on its back and release it when it was looking well again.

Its far worse than I thought. I got the hair and black stuff of its foot, but i think its foot was bent weird because it has a broken leg, also the missing feathers on its back are I think where a rat has attacked it and started eating it.
It has crap caked all around its back end, i have bathed the poor thing and gently tried to get it off to no avail. I am worried if I try too hard I might cause the pigeon to suffer more, as could the poo be attatched/plugging to some kind of hole the rat has gnawed?? There is also something towards the birds back end sticking out a little which looks as if it is pulsating.

We have bid flu in the area so the wildlife sanctuarys are not taking anything in, the pigeon looks a lot brighter since i caught him yesterday and has ate well, but I fear the poor thing is suffering. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wounds can be cleaned with a saline solution. You can make that by boiling a quart of water and adding 1 Tablespoon of salt. Let it cool to lukewarm. Clean the wounds, and apply an antibiotic cream. If he has been attacked by an animal then he should receive oral antibiotics. The broken leg should be set by a vet. Bringing him to an avian vet would be best for him. Just don't leave him there or they may euthanize him.

If you are on Facebook, I suggest you join the Pigeon Rescue group which is a network of rescuers and some rescue centers in the UK: They will know more what resources are in your area.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

#5 ·
Hi, the two rescue places on the map I could get to are not able to help, one of them is on lockdown because of bird flu, the other is unable to take anything else in.
Im new to this forum and am unsure how to upload photos, I will try and fathom it out though.

#8 ·
I will take him to the vets in the morning, it will clearly be a case of the vet putting it to sleep, which at least will end its suffering.
In humans marijuana is supposed to have pain dulling qualities, do you think it would help a pigeon the same way? if so a little sprinkle may help alleviate some of the poor things pain?

#9 ·
I wouldn't give him marijuana. Have you tried the Facebook group to see if they can help? They would know where there is help, or maybe even have a member who could take him. Try them before going to the vet.

#10 ·
The picture of his back doesn’t actually look as bad as you made it sound. I was thinking euthanasia based on your description, but I’d definitely treat him after seeing the picture. The leg looks bad, however. Does he flinch when you pinch the toes?

Meloxicam and Enrofloxacin are the usual meds used, although if you can get something stronger for pain that would be ideal. Any willing vet can give you those, just make sure they aren’t giving you the mammal dose for Enrofloxacin. They can also clean the wound properly.

#11 ·
I dont think the picture is clear enough to properly show how bad the back is, or possibly its just because its the worst injured pigeon i have taken in i think its injuries are terrible-whilst more experienced rescuers may of seen things a lot worse.

I cant afford a consultation fee and treatment to pay for a vet to treat it, the vet will euthanise it (i have enquired about previous pigeons).

I am going to bath him again and try and get some more of the crap off of him, before putting some more savlon on, Im not sure what else i can do for him.
Im not on facebook unfortunately, I very much dislike it.
I will gently squeeze his toes and report back his reaction.

#12 ·
I don't like Face book either, but would join in order to join that group. You don't have to do anything else there. Just join the group.
He should be getting oral antibiotics, and you need help in getting them. Someone on there may even be able to share some Meloxicam for pain, or know where you can get it. So if your are not seeing a vet, then the Facebook group could help you.

#13 ·
Doesnt look that bad. Should be treatable. If you go to a vet, or get help from the uk pigeon protection people, please tell him it is your treasured pet so they dont just euthanize him. Should be fixable with antibiotics and maybe setting his leg. Our beloved feral Phoebe was nearly decapitated and had a broken wing from flying into a fan twice but recovered nicely.

#14 ·
cwebster is right. Don't tell them it is a feral bird. Always say he is your pet, and of course you will need to pay for services. Many won't see ferals, but will see pets.

#16 ·
Ive just got someone who knows a little about pigeons (he used to race them) to come and have a look, he says overall it doesnt seem to be that bad and he couldnt feel a break in the leg so may possibly just be sprained.

Whilst I wouldnt be adverse to telling a few fibs to get help for an animal, I think if I said this was my pet they would question how I had let my pet get into such a state. I have four others pigeons here and I am not prepared to give anyone any oppertunity to take them away from me.

I have managed to order some metacam online which will hopefully be here tomorrow.
I will join facebook now incase there is someone near who can give this pigeon better care than what I can, on the whole though he seems to be getting stronger, Ive bathed him again this morning and managed to get all the lumps of crap off him, reapplied antiseptic cream to his wounds and feel a lot more positive about his chances of survival.

Thank you very much to all who have given advice, I will keep you updated with his progress. I have named this one Paul as he was a very "poorly" pigeon when I got him.

#18 ·
Thank you, I have beat myself up a little over rescuing Paul, I first spotted him on Thursday and sat there for 4 hours trying to get him, I went back Friday and couldnt get him then either, Saturday I had gone to get the children something to eat after swimming and spotted him huddled up soaking wet under a chair- this was when i managed to get him. It was absolutely freezing that night and snowed, if he had stayed out Im sure he would of died, Im just worried that by trying to help him I inadvertently prolonged his suffering.

I am looking into starting a course on veterinary nursing so I can help things in a more knowledgeable way, I dont think I should rescue anymore until then.

The metacam I "ordered" unfortunately is not able to be sent out to me without a prescription, so Im contacting everyone I know that has anything to do with birds in the hope they will be able to sell me some.

In the facebook group they are suggesting I send the bird about 150 miles away with a courier, I feel quite uncomfortable about this, do you or anyone else here have any experience with sending live birds long distances? if so would you recommend it?

Paul has been wing slapping and pecking me today, im sure this is a sign he is feeling stronger.

#19 ·
Couriers are generally good and the group can recommend a decent one to you.
My last Rescue pidge was sent from Devon, almost 230 miles to me by Walkers couriers, I have another sent to me from Birmingham by them too - both arrived in great shape. They do the journey in two stages so the bird gets an overnight stay in their pigeon quarters, I highly recommend them.

#20 · (Edited)
Can you get a vet to prescribe the metacam? I dont think you should beat yourself up. You have saved his life.
Freda, wish you could get the bird.
Bedworth, think about whether you might want to just adopt him. It is easy to get attached. We got our first injured feral and fixed her up. Best thing we ever did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.