Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let some pigeons have their babies on my balcony. I was going to shew them until I realized they had eggs and decided to let them stay. There were 2 birds originally and two eggs. I noticed about a week or so before the eggs hatched the one who I usually saw sitting on the eggs was gone. The other bird took over sitting on the eggs. The other bird never returned.

The eggs hatched and about 2 weeks later I noticed the adult bird was gone. It didn't come back either! I would check on them when I went out to water the plants. They are still alive although I don't know how they are eating but they seem to be getting big pretty fast.

I was home the other day and heard them squeaking a lot. I went out and there was a big pigeon that I didn't recognize near them. When I went out it flew away. Since then I have heard them squeaking a few times and I go out and there is an adult bird near them and it flies away.

I googled if a strange bird would hurt them and read that sometimes they will. Today this happened and I went out and the big bird out there flew away again but this bird that looked very much like the bird who was sitting on them when they hatched. I don't want to scare away a parent but I don't want a strange bird to attack them. What should I do!?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, a strange bird could attack them.

I would observe from a distance, in an area where the bird can't see you, and if the bird is not attacking them, but feeding them, then you can relax.

Pigeons feed their babies by allowing babies to put their beaks inside theirs and then the parent birds regurgitate food in their beaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's tough because I can't see them easily. We put a box out there with a hole in it so the parents would go in there and hopefully keep their mess confined. They ended up just sitting next to it but it did make it so they stay in the corner and their stuff isn't all over my balcony. The babies though have now gone inside the the box. One just came (one I don't recognize) I tried to sneak out there but I couldn't see in the box and I heard them all like thumping around in the box so I yelled and made it go away. The big pigeon wasn't carrying any food in its mouth when it landed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would they have made it this long without eating though? it's been over a week since I saw the parent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts