Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first pigeon babies are 7 days old today. They should be standing up and moving around soon. My nest boxes are in a stack of four by four 16" boxes. So these babies' box is about 3-1/2 feet off the ground. Should this nest box have some kind of a front on it... an edge or something to keep them from falling out?
I don't want to be overly protective, but I also don't want to be negligent. I can easily stick a piece of furring strip across the front lower edge if that is considered to be appropriate. That would give a 1-1/2" edge.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My first pigeon babies are 7 days old today. They should be standing up and moving around soon. My nest boxes are in a stack of four by four 16" boxes. So these babies' box is about 3-1/2 feet off the ground. Should this nest box have some kind of a front on it... an edge or something to keep them from falling out?
I don't want to be overly protective, but I also don't want to be negligent. I can easily stick a piece of furring strip across the front lower edge if that is considered to be appropriate. That would give a 1-1/2" edge.
Thanks much.
I wouldnt worry too much about it as long as they have nest bowls. If the young do fall out (happens from time to time no matter what) be sure and put them back in the box, or they will get scalped by the adults. In my loft, I have a piece of plywood leaned against the wall in the corner for a "hiding place" for the babies, in case they do fall.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks much.
yes, it is a good idea to have barrier of some type, If you don't have fronts then a strip across the bottom will do, just put it high enough so when you scrape the nest box you can get the droppings out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have nest bowls. I tried them, but the birds kept taking the eggs out of them, so I gave up. They have built nests out of hay in the boxes. The boxes are 12" deep and have a tiny slope from front to back (1/2" lower in back than in front - just to keep eggs from rolling out)
I can put up something for a baby to hide under if they fall out.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't have nest bowls. I tried them, but the birds kept taking the eggs out of them, so I gave up. They have built nests out of hay in the boxes. The boxes are 12" deep and have a tiny slope from front to back (1/2" lower in back than in front - just to keep eggs from rolling out)
I can put up something for a baby to hide under if they fall out.
I think I would need a pic to see what you are talking about, I've seen slanted box perches, but not nest boxes, seems the nest bowls would lean a bit and the eggs would lay to the back...and perhaps get shuffled out of the nest bowl?... you can use bricks 8 or so inches from the back wall and place some shavings in the spot behind the brick, I have serveral who build a nest behind the brick and it works fine, but these birds are good nest builders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts