Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two weeks (I think? Or just one, I don't remember) ago I saw a pigeon nest in the downtown of my city. It was placed a little bit low, on an abandoned thing, but it was so well built that I thought "Wow, I guess these babies won't need any help!". I guess I was wrong. There were two little birds and their mother was feeding them. I have been dropping in to see them once in a couple of days since then.
Yesterday, I was surprised to see one of those "danger" things on that part of the block. I went to check them, and next to it, they were building/repairing something (I guess it's a store). I was looking at one of the birds (because I couldn't actually see the other), talking with my boyfriend about them, and trying to see the second one, when one of the workers started to talk to me. He told me there were two birds, and that one was much smaller than the other one, and that they had tried to convince the owner of the place to leave them there until they could fly. The owner hadn't agreed, and he had just allowed them to avoid closing the part where the birds were living until that was the only thing left to do. He told me they had to close it in about a week. I agreed to take them in one week (he offered me to get them down in that moment but I told him I'd rather wait and let the mother take care of them as long as possible because she'd probably do a better job).
Questions are:
1. Should I actually take them in? One of the birds has already got feathered wings, but the head still has yellow fluff. If I left them, the problem is that, since it's the downtown, there are a lot of cars and they won't stop because of a bird. If you are concerned about me dedicating myself to the birds, don't worry. I, as probably many of you, have been through nights without sleeping over sick birds (or animals in general). I am ready to take the pigeons in and, if they can't be released, I know I will be able to keep them. My family has been pretty indulgent over my rescue birds, and I have no problem with commitment. I have been with all my animals through sickness and old age, so it's not like I'd get bored of them and just release them o.o. I want your opinion to be as fact-based as possible, without taking into account my possible personal limitations, because I know them; and taking into account that culturally, as all of you know, pigeons are seen as disease carriers so there is little chance somebody else will go and help them :/. I lack knowledge, (one of the most important things!), but I think that I can do it right if you help me. We all start somewhere, after all.
2. If I do take them, should I take them tomorrow or on Friday?
3. Should I take the little bird first (eg tomorrow) to help it grow up better? The man said that the big one was taking all the food from the mother and that the little one wasn't eating a lot. I thought that maybe it'd be better for the little bird to eat a bit more.
4. There isn't bird formula in my city, and, anyways, I don't have much money. What do you think I can feed the birds? I've read a lot about peas and corn here... More options? I've read about puppy chow, and if it's possible to feed them that it'd be better since I have three dogs (so I have dog food for sure :p). I feed my dogs Pedigree. Is it ok? I can get them other things, but please suggest as many as possible.
5. Until when do they need heating? I've never been sure.

If/when I take them, I'll post pics.
Please answer as soon as possible.

Paw.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Pawbla,

I think certainly the little one needs help immediately, but it is possible that he is ill rather than that the larger one is getting all the food. I would rescue both to be on the safe side, but you have a better perspective on their chances.

You might need a vet...we know there is one in BA that has helped with a rescue pigeon, but I don't know how far that is from you.

Cynthia

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Basically it sounds like the nest is safe until the end of the week - but it sounds lie the little one is in danger of dying pretty soon. Also the big one doesn't sound old enough to survive if the nest is removed in only a week - if he still has yellow fluff on his head. l say get the nest now - do not wait any longer. You will need puppy chow or peas and corn or parrot pellets - and will also probably need medicine called Metronidazole or Fishzole - which is cheap and can be purchased in an aquarium/fish store. An eyedropper or syringe. Then 2 boxes cages or carriers to separate the babes for the time being....& something to keep them both warm

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A little bit too much. But I have one in my city that might help. He helped my with one of my budgies (that died anyways so I'm a bit... uncertain about him) but I can try anyways.
I thought that he might be ill or maybe he was just some days younger so the big one was getting all the food for just... being bigger. I was planning on rescue both but I thought that maybe the little one needed help sooner. Maybe as Jaye says I should get both.
I will disinfect my cages today and tomorrow I'll go pick them up. Today the vet is not open and the workers aren't there (and I need a ladder!).
Which is the actual drug of those medicines? If there isn't one named like those, maybe I can get it under another name.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A little bit too much.
LOL, yes, I just found it on the map!

A symptom of salmonellosis is that one baby will thrive and the other won't. That is treated with enrofloxacin (enrofloxacina) but ciprofloxacin (ciprofloxacina) which is the equivalent used on humans, would be OK. THose are the generic names, brand names would be different but a vet would be able to trace the relevant brands.

Another drug that can be used but is not as effective is a combination of amoxycillin + clavulanic acid (amoxicilina + acido clavulanico)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I hope you rescue them and save them. If the workers thought enough to talk to you about them I'm sure one of them can help you with a ladder. Lets hope so. Please keep us informed. min

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
A little bit too much.
:confused:
Yeah, he offered to get them for me :)
Thanks for the info on the drugs, Feefo. And the translation, haha :D. I will see what I get and then ask you about the dosage.
Disinfected one, one to go x.X
De nada, che!
:confused:

...there's sumthin' goin' over my head here....and it's not the local flock....;)

But as long as you can get those babies fast, they have a decent chance of living.....Understand that even the bigger one sounds TOO YOUNG to possibly survive if the nest is removed or aggravated. This is why you need to take both.

It will be a bit sad in that the parents will be alarmed...but....there is no way either baby will live if you do anything else....

Paw...if you CANNOT find the Ciprofloxin or Enrofloxin...you should be able to find the Metronidazole/Fishzole. Also, see maybe if anyone you know has any human antibiotics, and what they might be.....

BTW.....it was very, very NICE of the workmen to care !

(BTW-BTW....my thought was canker, not salmonellosis)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"A little bit too much" was a rough translation of how we usually say "A little bit too far". IDK if you people use that.

And "de nada, che!"... "de nada" is "your welcome!", hehe. "Che" is normally used in Argentina to call someone you either don't know his/her name (informally), to start a sentence (like "ḧey..."), and many other things I should think about xD. My post above that one refers to previous posts :p.

As I said, I was planning to take both, but I wanted to know if I should take the little one first and leave the big one for a week, which was the time the workers said it would take to finish the rest of the things. I'll be more comfortable myself taking both soon, because they worry me.

I'm writing down the names. I have, myself, amoxicillin with clavulanic acid (co-amoxiclav). I will try first with the vet and with those you people told me. Whatever it is... are those two illnesses similar?

And yes, I though it was really nice of them x3.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Construction company don't run a strict schedule so it may be a couple days earlier or later. I wouldn't wait to get the birds. I would get them as soon as you can. Like yesterday if I were you. I think its really great that you doing this and the construction people, now if only the owner cared. But at least someone does. min

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The diseases are very different, but both can cause emaciation. The vet will be able to tell what it has. These are the medicines for canker available (I hope) in Argentina, doses are for adult homers which on average weigh 400 gms.

Ronidazol Ronidazol: 10 : 10-15 mg mg/paloma/día.
/ Metronidazol Metronidazol: 20 : 20-30 mg mg/paloma/día.
/ Dimetridazol Dimetridazol: 20 : 20-25 mg mg/paloma/día.
/ Preventivo: 1 1-5 días, 15 días antes de entrar en
postura.
Curativo: 7 días.
Palomares infectados medicar una vez por mes,
salvo en postura.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
All good advice -------- but let's remember Paw's situation - regarding not much money & maybe knowledgable bird vets and prescription drugs (pronto) are not in the cards. Paw - you can try to find all of those exact medications - but if worse comes to worst - just using the Amoxy and get Fishzole-Metronidazole (at aquarium store) & that'll have to be Ok. lf you can find Spartrix FAST -get some- but l wouldn't spend much time searching down meds - more important to get those babies ASAP - the small one likely needs meds and food FAST - not much time to lose !

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The worker wasn't there today. Instead, there was another guy who said they didn't need the birds to go away and that the little one was feeding fine. There was also a taxi driver who said the guys kill me if I took them away xD. So I didn't know what to do and just left. The little bird seemed fine, just smaller than the other one. It was holding its head upright and behaving normally... It didn't seem like down or anything. I will check them on Saturday just in case, and demand an explanation from this other guy o.o

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What do you mean the guy said they would kill you if you took them away? Who would kill you? Plus you say you were touching the little one, so I assume you got a ladder. Today being monday I WOULD NOT wait until SAT. I won't be able to sleep if you do that. I know its probably a hassle but I would definitely go back tomorrow if not later today. I don't know what time it is there now. I don't know, I know your only trying to help. If they are tearing down the building, I don't know. min

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He said it like jokingly, it's a common expression to say somebody would be very angry. I thought you used it xP. He said the rest of the drivers who usually go there would.
I wasn't touching him. I checked him as I could without doing so. I stayed watching him for a while, to check for any weird behaviors. I really wanted to get him down, but they were like trying to convince me to do otherwise.
I'll go tomorrow morning, I get out of school early. It's late now :/. Maybe this other guy is there, and I can at least take the little bird to the vet. Maybe this one or the other one was lying, I can't really know. I'm kinda confused there. They're not working on that house, it's on the next one they are doing the job. The situation is a bit strange. I don't want to take them from their mother unless it's necessary, I think it's better for the birds to stay if they can.
They weren't going to tear it down, though. They were going to close a part of it. But that's like that according to the first guy.
Maybe I can take it with the vet "excuse" (which is true). If he says the bird is ok, maybe I can take it back?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hi. Now I am confused. I thought the situation was, at the end of this week...they are going to remove the nest, right ? if that is the case, then...those babies have to be taken out of the nest because they are too young to survive.

Will they be removing the nest, or no ?

I understand, the worker who you are friendly with wasn't there today. Perhaps you should return before Saturday on a day when the worker you know better is there, and then get the babies.

It is good news that the smaller one is apparently being fed...but it still is unusual for one to be so dramatically smaller than he other so it still seems that it is in danger.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah. If he has crank, will he have the necrotic tissue in his throat? Or maybe not?
As you can see I've been reading about these illnesses, but I don't know what kind of tests I could run. Like, I could try to handfeed it and see if the bird refuses to eat...?
Maybe I can ask them if I can check on him without taking him. But I'll ask them for permission (I don't NEED to, but I think it'll be better for all of us... usually it's not good for a 16-year-old girl to try to stand up to some older men xD) to take the little one to the vet. If they say no, well, I may have to make up an excuse, like seeing something that it's not actually there.
Is there any way I can *try* to diagnose any of these illnesses without taking them to the vet?
I actually don't know where will that worker be. I was thinking that maybe he only came in the mornings or on weekends. Anyways, I'm going to try tomorrow morning, taking advantage of the fact I get out of school early because I have a big exam. I haven't studied anything, between these pigeons and my headache xD. Right now I'm more concerned about them, lol.

If the bird has salmonella or crank, wouldn't the parents and sibling be in danger too?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.