Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in heck do the babies leave the nest when it is 5 feet off the floor?
My first pair laid 2 infertle eggs in a high nest and finally abandoned them, which I removed. A week or so later they made a nest on the floor and hatched a pair on 26 December. Those have really grown and are probably eating on their own mostly but I have never seen them eating or being fed. They have really feathered out and move about well. I just don't see how they would make it if they fell out of a high nest. Is it common to nest on the floor? I think they may be getting ready to lay another pair, this time in a nesting box with one of the pressed paper bowls in it. Will they carry nest materials to it or do I need to help them or just leave them alone? Should I move it to the floor and if I did, will they still sit on the eggs? How old are the babies when they fly? As you can see, I need a lot of help.
Thanks, David

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
yeah... if they fall out they can get hurt but for the most part these birds are very strong. you shouldn't let them nest on the floor with out a nest bowl there... and on the floor if there are other birds in the loft you face broken eggs. If you would like put some nesting material in the bottom of the bowl, it will encourage them to build a nest. No leave it in the nest box. I start working with my birds at 5 weeks old they start to fly at 7 and they start to really fly at about 9 weeks. Hope some of it helped.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Where ever they would like to nest... its their home let them do what they like.

L

·
0 Posts
I have had plenty have their nests on the floor without problem and they will build their own nest just give them something to do it with like pine needles tobacco stems or something of that nature they will even use their own feathers if they can find any .. when up high its best to have something to keep them from falling out of the boxes though cuz once they start to move around they do it alot an well and tend to go to far sometimes and if there are nesting birds on the floor already they will peck on their lil heads if they get to close just to get them away so thats never good.. so you have to becareful ...another reason why nesting on the floor isnt the best for a loft of many pairs cuz they all will end up on the floor sooner or later .. oh and when a pair picks a box leave them at it cuz you cant move the nest bowl with eggs or they wont know where to go and the eggs will get abandoned for sure ..older babies on the floor is one thing but eggs in a bowl is another , so if you want them to hatch leave them they know what they are doing ..good luck and enjoy those little squabbies while you can cuz they grow so fast :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts