Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so when I went out for my last check of the night on Wednesday I found this poor little guy on the floor shaking, cold and with a pretty serious wound on his back end.
Bird Beak
Finch Bird House finch

I brought him in and got him in a nice warm bath in an effort to warm him up and wash the wound at the same time. I have been applying triple antibiotic ointment and tried to bandage/cover the wound but he keeps slipping out of it.
This is what the wound looks like today.
Ear

Is that color normal?? Is it the beginnign of the skin/scab forming or is that infection? If it is infection what can I safely use to wash it out? The only things I have on hand are Contact Saline Solution, Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing alcohol. Should I be giving him a oral antibiotic?? What I have on hand for that is either the Doxy/Tylan that I had been giving to Loco or a 25mg liquid Clindamycin but don't know what the dosage would be for a bird?
I read through all the threads pertaining to scalping etc. but didn't see any recommendations other than the trip antibiotic/Neosporin being used.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The skin to the left side of the wound does seem a bit swollen, I figured being pecked at so badly that is probably to be expected along with bruising. It is the color and the fact I can't find a way to keep a bandage on that is concerning me. That and I want something safe and not too painful to wash it out with.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
UMMMM........you found it Wednesday? Today is Friday. What have you BEEN doing for the baby? I don't see any reason why you can't wash it with some warm saline and put some neosporin or something like that on it. That's what I would do. There's not much you CAN do except keep it clean and let it heal. He'll begin to peck at it probably, so some sort of collar around the neck might be needed for a few days.
I guess others will come along with other suggestions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UMMMM........you found it Wednesday? Today is Friday. What have you BEEN doing for the baby? I don't see any reason why you can't wash it with some warm saline and put some neosporin or something like that on it. That's what I would do. There's not much you CAN do except keep it clean and let it heal. He'll begin to peck at it probably, so some sort of collar around the neck might be needed for a few days.
I guess others will come along with other suggestions.
It was pretty late Weds. night and yesterday was a busy day, feeding it every 3-4 hours trying to clean and bandage the wound, which refuses to stay on!! I just haven't had time to post the pictures till today. I have had it inside on a heating pad, handfeeding, washing it with warm water and applying the triple antibiotic about 3-4 times a day. I wasn't sure if the Saline I saw people referring to was the same as contact solution saline?
Is that yellowish color normal part of the scabbing process??

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
It was pretty late Weds. night and yesterday was a busy day, feeding it every 3-4 hours trying to clean and bandage the wound, which refuses to stay on!! I just haven't had time to post the pictures till today. I have had it inside on a heating pad, handfeeding, washing it with warm water and applying the triple antibiotic about 3-4 times a day. I wasn't sure if the Saline I saw people referring to was the same as contact solution saline?

I really don't know. I've got some out in the loft. I'll go look at it and see what it says. I think you're really doing all that you can do. I don't THINK it needs to be on antibiotics, but don't really know and wouldn't know what to give a baby that tiny anyway.
I'll go check that Saline now. BRB

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What we have for my husbands contacts says "Sterile Saline Solution" hope that's the right stuff? I can't get over how quickly someone did this to him. I was out there 30-45 minutes before this and all was calm. I did a line up to see if I could tell who the culprit was but they must have been smart and had a drink of water to wash away the blood, though I do have my suspicions.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It looks like this wound needs to be sutured. I cannot comment about the color but it looks like all the layers of skin have been torn away and there is no scab forming. When my baby was scalped it formed a thick black scab and I used neosporin. I used warm compresses of sterile saline and would remove the scab every few days and then reapply the neosporin until the wound healed.

I really think this baby needs to be seen by a Vet. I don't see this type of wound closing on it's own without some professional intervention.

Poor baby..........do you have any idea how this happened???

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
What we have for my husbands contacts says "Sterile Saline Solution" hope that's the right stuff? I can't get over how quickly someone did this to him. I was out there 30-45 minutes before this and all was calm. I did a line up to see if I could tell who the culprit was but they must have been smart and had a drink of water to wash away the blood, though I do have my suspicions.
Yep, that's good. My bottle says "Sterile Saline Solution" for cleaning soft lenses.
I had unexpected company.....that's why it took me so long. Sorry.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
It looks like this wound needs to be sutured. I cannot comment about the color but it looks like all the layers of skin have been torn away and there is no scab forming. When my baby was scalped it formed a thick black scab and I used neosporin. I used warm compresses of sterile saline and would remove the scab every few days and then reapply the neosporin until the wound healed.

I really think this baby needs to be seen by a Vet. I don't see this type of wound closing on it's own without some professional intervention.

I'm not a doctor, so I don't know, but what would you suture together? Looks like the skin is gone. :confused:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Looks like the skin is completely gone to me also. The Vet would not actually suture it together but place a patch of this stuff (I don't know what is is called) over the wound and it forms a layer of somthing similar to skin and allows the skin to regrow beneath it.

I had this done with one of my dogs that was attacked by another dog and had a very large wound that could not be sutured together. It was an amazing process, but it worked. I don't know if this could be done to a bird, but I honestly think this baby needs to be seen by a professional.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Looks like the skin is completely gone to me also. The Vet would not actually suture it together but place a patch of this stuff (I don't know what is is called) over the wound and it forms a layer of somthing similar to skin and allows the skin to regrow beneath it.

I had this done with one of my dogs that was attacked by another dog and had a very large wound that could not be sutured together. It was an amazing process, but it worked. I don't know if this could be done to a bird, but I honestly think this baby needs to be seen by a professional.
Oh yea......I've heard of that too. Don't know what it's called though. Wish Pidgey would come on line and take a looksy.........

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I would put it on antibotics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had unexpected company.....that's why it took me so long. Sorry.
Yup and here I was thinking "How dare she have a life OTHER than answering my questions on PT" :D

No offense BUT......I used to get injuries worse than that falling off my bike as a kid, I mean some pretty good chunks of skin and flesh out of my forearms (probably should have kept the training wheels longer) LOL! Even though they looked pretty nasty they never warranted a visit to the E.R.
Anyway, I just wanted to spare him/her some of the pain MY Mom put me through cleaning out those wounds! I don't remember what she used to use but BOY OH BOY by the time she was done I forgot ALL about actually falling off the bike.
I also just like to double check it's safe before using medicines,antiseptics etc. intended for humans before using them on animals, especially on something so small.

As for how it happened.....?? :eek: Well.......maybe someone can learn from my mistake. Even though I built more than enough nice, big nest boxes for these guys I had a few pairs that just INSISTED on nesting on the floor. I threw out their first sets of eggs, I would put things in the way to discourage them from trying again but they would just build their next nest right nest to whatever I put there. So I caved :eek: and put a milkcrate with a door cut into one side over the top of the nest. It seemed to work great and up till the other night nobody had any problems with intruders but all it takes is once and this was the unlucky victim!! I have my suspicions as to who the guilty party might be but I couldn't find anyone with a bloody beak in the line up so....

OK so I used some warm Saline to clean it a little while ago and the yellow looking stuff will just come off BUT... I didn't know if I should keep trying to get it off if it is a scab trying to form??
Also any ideas how I can keep a bandage on him? It is definately not the easiest spot as it just slides backwards and off his butt. I didn't want to do it diaper like cause I am trying to keep poop out of it, not hold it in next to the wound. The only other thing I can think of is kinda making straps like a backpack? LOL!! Though I doubt I could pull it off because he is just sooo, sooo squirmy! It is definately a lively little baby with a healthy appetite!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would say baytril, according to his weight and nolvason solution diluted, to clean the wounds, carefully of course. I do not think it can be sutured, too delicate.
I have checked with Foy's and they said they can't get Baytril anymore. I do have a liquid 25mg Clindamycin it says on the bottle that it is used for wounds do you have any idea what the dosage is for a baby so small 165 gr?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know whether this would be apropos, but I have used a sort of soft, sheet gel for covering burns, etc., from the drug store first aid section. It was was perhaps a couple of millimeters thick, and more or less transparent. Seemed to be non-sticky, moisture retaining, and very gentle. I forget the name, but a pharmacist should know. I was using it on humans, however.
I don't know how one would get it to stay in place in a case like this. Or, if one should...

I also use the sterile saline wound wash.

Hoping the baby is improving apace.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know whether this would be apropos, but I have used a sort of soft, sheet gel for covering burns, etc., from the drug store first aid section. It was was perhaps a couple of millimeters thick, and more or less transparent. Seemed to be non-sticky, moisture retaining, and very gentle. I forget the name, but a pharmacist should know. I was using it on humans, however.
I don't know how one would get it to stay in place in a case like this. Or, if one should...

I also use the sterile saline wound wash.

Hoping the baby is improving apace.
I was actually going back and forth as to whether I SHOULD be keeping it covered. My main reason for keeping it covered was just to make sure no poop got in the wound. Since you mentioned burns, being a former chef I used to get burned ALOT and I did always try to let them heal uncovered as soon as was safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.