Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I just found a fledgling Cape Turtle Dove, he seemed really confused and allowed me to walk right up to him. He can half fly but not for very long. I put him in a warm box with some water and seeds and he seems very relaxed. Should I put him back under the tree outside or keep him? I was worried he would be hit by a car since he was in the parking lot of our complex. Please help with advice. He isnt injured and im not sure if I should just put him back or not.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi,
Can you pls post a pic of the baby dove. Is he eating and drinking on his own when you provided that stuff in his cage? A pic would help to estimate how young he is.

If he isn't flying well, he isn't safe outside so he should be kept in until he flies well. Did you look for his parents or nest nearby?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
These fledgling doves usually spend 2 or 3 days on the ground before they learn how to fly properly. The nest must be in the tree where you found him. If there's no chance of him getting caught by cats or getting run over by a car, I would rather put him back. The parents must by now be looking for him and his chances of survival are best with the parents in the long run.

But if you can first post a photo to determine his age like Kiddy suggested, it would help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.