Pigeon-Talk banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have looked for any signs of a possible entrance point and I cant find any signs of a wound on the top of his wing. The scab on his wing is oozing slightly but his skin is looking the healthiest its been. The little wound on his wing was bleeding slightly after he knocked it but it is only small. My biggest worry is that he is still losing weight. He is eating but is now 410g. He has EMP and seed.
Poplar is still shuffling about but she did her first proper hop today. She is using her wings more but not to properly fly. Poplar has gained weight. Her chest is not skinny at all and she is continuing to eat well.
Periwinkle is more tame than I thought. I know a lady who released my hand reared starling so Im going to give her a call. Deron is doing great and loves chatting when I go and sit with him.

Charlotte and co
XxX

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well that's good news about Rosie and Poplar.
I fully understand your parent's concerns, my girls are both going through crucial exams at present, and I know I'd feel the same, important as the birds welfare is. ( I didn't like to say, but that's why I made that comment earlier). ;)

That's a weight off your mind for now, and you will no doubt have many more patients to come.

Janet
I wish I could carry on with them but I hope to become a great vet and I cant wait to help all the wildlife who wouldnt otherwise be helped. I want to spend the rest of my life doing this but I have to admit, the animal lover in me takes over and I cant help but feel the animals life is more important than a couple of exams.

I am so glad I found this forum, its so encouraging to find so many people who have a real passion and dedication to these birds.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the animals life is more important than a couple of exams.
Oh the impatience of the young !! :D
Just think how much more you'll be able to do to help US by passing your exams and becoming the great vet you're wanting to be !! ( if I'm still alive by then, It's a long haul, but will be worth all the hard work. Two of my daughter's friends are three years into their vet's degrees, one at Cambridge, the other at Edingburgh, they love it.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If you want to then you can bring Periwinkle too. If she can fly she can go in the main aviary and keep Poppet and Jack company. Poppet is completely tame.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you Cynthia. Im going to keep flying him and if he can fly I might try and release him if I get a nice day. Ill just see what happens. To be honest at the moment hes keeping Rosie company.
Poplar is really good. Although she just shuffles in her cage and isnt using the perches, when i get her out she is now able to balance and perch on my finger and if flapping her wings more and more. If I compare her to the others she feels overweight(!!). She is definately eating well.
Rosie feels really skinny to me but I can feel a few seeds in her crop. As I said, she is approx 405-415g.
I was over the moon today seeing Poplar actually perch. Ive had another look at Rosie's wound on her chest and theres still a lump there but I dont wont to hurt her, it truely wont budge.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Is Rosie on antibiotics?

Difficult to tell how much she should weigh, it really depends on her size.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
She's not at the moment. Ive found her favourite food is sunflower seeds which she is eating well. Ive bought some spinach which Im not sure if shes eating it or just spreading it around. Shes still strong.
Poplar has been perching on a stick for short periods. Still no real flying but plenty of flapping.
Periwinkle is ready for release. Her flying has improved and she is now takng off from the floor.
Deron is very proud of his box. Its just the right height for him to hop and and off as he wants and is eating fine.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Charlotte,

Keep periwinkle a bit longer before release. She needs to be a very good and agile flier to evade predators.

You know you van always bring her here to build up her skills a little and I can release her in my garden. There is a constant stream of collared doves dropping in for a meal.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Cynthia. We do have a few pairs round here but we also have quite a few cats. I would be extremely greatful if you could take Poplar.
I looked at Rosie's wound last night and it has healed over. You can hardly see where it was. The skin looks healthy and Rosie is eating better. Im not sure what is defined as underweight. Poplar and Periwinkle have fat/muscle which is level with their keel bone so you can just feel a strip of the bone. Rosies chest however forms a definate v shape and you can definately feel her keel bone. She panics easily still so her tail feathers are not in top condition.
The skin on her wing looks amazing. When I first met her her wing was green and gangrenous, so the vet was considering euthenasia. Slowly it turned a more "healthy colour" although it has looked a little yellow for a while. It doesnt look at all yellow now, it is a lovely pink colour and the swelling has come right down. The wounded part of wing was about 2.3-3cm thick due to inflammation but now is only 1-1.5cm.
XxX

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello all!
I now have one remaining Pigeon, Deron. Cynthia has kindly taken Poplar, Periwinkle and Rosie to let me focus on my studies.
Deron had spent all his time in my room hopping in and out of his box and was perfectly happy, cooing and preening himself.
On Sunday when we had the good weather we decided to let him outside, initially in a small enclosure I made and then free run of the whole garden. He was very nervous but had a walk around but then stopped and sat next to our patio doors. I put him back on the grass and he made his way back to the window. He has been constantly alert, especially with our two dogs and cat. When the patio door was left open, he ran back inside the house and for the past two days has been sitting infront of a low mirror. He was fine yesterday but today he has started to look depressed.
He is sitting, falling asleep with his feathers fluffed out and both wings hanging down infront of the mirror.
I have fed him some sugar water and given him a hot water bottle which he is sitting on at the moment. I have felt his crop and there is some seed in there. Ive also offered him some greens, emp and peanuts.
I know he needs to be with other pigeons so I have organised for him to go to Retreat Animal Centre on Friday where they have the Trafalgar Square Pigeons and several unreleasable pigeons including a pigeon with no legs!
The "callous" on his wing has fallen off. The wound has healed well and he has a little more movement in that wing but still not enough to fly, although he can hop well.
Anyway, any ideas to cheer him up would be appreciated.
Thank you and thank you Cynthia for looking after the others. Hopefully they are doing well.
XXxXX

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.