Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Baby dove it fell out of a tree on July 02 was doing good until today Noticed eyes could not open and has lumps or pimples all over wing neck beak feathers falling out! Nightmare here can anyone help! I have him/her under a 40 watt light bulb now need to know what meds to give
Thanks,
Tony

More pictures are here:

http://brooklynhood.com/images/dove/

</html>

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
His head looks all greasy...what is that? Where have you been keeping this bird...inside or outside? Where, approximately are you located?
The light seems to be very close and I'm worried it's too close. Please put you hand on top of the bird and leave it there for a few minutes and see how hot your hand feels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His head looks all greasy...what is that? Where have you been keeping this bird...inside or outside? Where, approximately are you located?
The light seems to be very close and I'm worried it's too close. Please put you hand on top of the bird and leave it there for a few minutes and see how hot your hand feels.
I'm located in Brooklyn, NY we have him in a bird cage inside with 40 watt light bulb on the outside of cage

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is exactly how the dove is now, I checked his head does not feel hot. Eats fine and has no problem digesting. I did not see any pimples until a day or two ago it was only today when she could not open her eyes did I get worried and noticed all the bumps and pimples. Hope I can help her.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, if it were pox, you wouldn't want any stuff like that on him for fear of spreading it. Someone who's more familiar with really bad pox is going to have to weigh in on that, though. If you open his eyelids (clean him up first), do his eyes look fine or are they cloudy or odd looking?

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Tony...You need to take the bird to the vet. It looks very ill.The best place would be Animal General in NYC. They have a wildlife fund so there would be no charge to you. I don't know what kind of a dove this one is but it likely is a protected species which would make it illegal for you to keep it and I don't know if they will give you meds and let you treat it or if they will keep it. The best chance the bird has is to receive veterinary care.
Their number is 212-501-9600 and they are located at 588 Columbus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony...You need to take the bird to the vet. It looks very ill.The best place would be Animal General in NYC. They have a wildlife fund so there would be no charge to you. I don't know what kind of a dove this one is but it likely is a protected species which would make it illegal for you to keep it and I don't know if they will give you meds and let you treat it or if they will keep it. The best chance the bird has is to receive veterinary care.
Their number is 212-501-9600 and they are located at 588 Columbus.
That's rather far from me I have been trying to locate someone for a week now
we have been turned away by several vets and it seems they don't care. I will try and call them in the morning and see if we can get the dove to them we put Bacitracin ophthalmic in his eyes. and to answer the other question his eyes are sunk in odd like they are not even there. It's like this happened overnight. We have had other doves like this fall out of the tree in our backyard before, raised them and let them go into the wild with no problem but I never had one like this before I hope it will make it :(

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Tony, When you call them in the morning, ask if they can recommend someone closer to you. If they can, I would love to have that contact for our resources. I also will worry about the little dove so I want to know how he's doing.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Tony,

Try locating Dr. Linda Pesek .. she's terrific with pigeons and doves and might be closer for you.

Your dove appears to be a young Mourning Dove with a nasty case of pox and possibly paratyphoid .. the lumps/bumps could be pox lesions, but I think I am seeing a large boil or at least a bare joint on the upper left side of the body.

If the bird has pox, you want to be drying out the lesions and not keeping them moist with cream or ointment.

Thank you so much for your care and concern for this bird! Please keep us posted!

I'll try to come up with another resource or two for you in the NYC area. (have a look here .. might be a couple: http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm .. scroll down the the NY listings)

Terry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tony, When you call them in the morning, ask if they can recommend someone closer to you. If they can, I would love to have that contact for our resources. I also will worry about the little dove so I want to know how he's doing.
Charis If they do give me a number I will most definitly post it here and I will keep you all posted as to it's health and outcome. I only hope they will let me get it back to put in my backyard I have about 26 doves that have nests here and would hate to see one missing. They sing so wonderful in the morning it would be sad to have one gone. We feed them every morning for over 30 years now and have a large amount of them here because we do! Take care!
Tony

PS does anyone know what this dove has?

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Tony,
The dove could have pox, paratyphoid or a combination of the two. Has the dove been where mosquitoes could get to it?

There is a vet in Brooklyn in the link that Terry provided...Dr. Richard Turoff at 718-625-7111.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tony,

Try locating Dr. Linda Pesek .. she's terrific with pigeons and doves and might be closer for you.

Your dove appears to be a young Mourning Dove with a nasty case of pox and possibly paratyphoid .. the lumps/bumps could be pox lesions, but I think I am seeing a large boil or at least a bare joint on the upper left side of the body.

If the bird has pox, you want to be drying out the lesions and not keeping them moist with cream or ointment.

Thank you so much for your care and concern for this bird! Please keep us posted!

I'll try to come up with another resource or two for you in the NYC area. (have a look here .. might be a couple: http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm .. scroll down the the NY listings)

Terry
upper left side is a bare joint and they have had that when we first got them.
I called Dr. Linda Pesek today and told her about the little fella and she told me to call back in the morning so that is actually the first place I am going to call and I will go on from there.
I'm sick that this little guy got so ill in a matter of a day I hope he will make through the night. I just checked on him and gave him some more food, seems to be eating and pooping fine so I know there is hope for him. There is no way of us getting the pox from him is there? We wash our hands and wear gloves when holding him.

Thank you all for your help and for having such a wonderful site!
Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tony,
The dove could have pox, paratyphoid or a combination of the two. Has the dove been where mosquitoes could get to it?
There are lots of mosquitoes in my backyard and around here this year due to all this rain could that have been the cause?

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
There are lots of mosquitoes in my backyard and around here this year due to all this rain could that have been the cause?
Certainly, if he has been around mosquitoes recently.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Terry glade to know :)

I love hearing my doves and even though we can't own them we can take care of them and help them when they need our help it's the least we should do.
Tony

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Love your avatar, Tony.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts