Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Charis, I forgot where I picked it up from but I use it on most sites I go on.
Tony

·
Registered
13,045 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Terry!

I can only pray that the rest of the doves in my backyard don't catch this! I will have to go out in the morning and clean all the feeders now! What a nightmare this diease is! Maybe the mother knew it was sick and kicked it out of the nest?

Last checked my little friend and he is still doing good, very responsive and nice and warm. Trying to keep him at 84 F
Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did my Last check on the little guy before bed at 2:40 am ET and she moved about 5 inches away from light felt her and she feels just right! Digital Thermometer next to her reads 83.5 so I'm happy and off to sleep.
Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Latest Update on our little friend and some phone numbers for Brooklyn, NY

I called to make an appointment with Animal General in NYC and they said first to call Karan to get a free referral (Wild Birds only) to Animal General in NYC Karan’s # is 646-306-2862 Mon to Fri 8:00am to 7:00pm Then I asked her if there was a closer place to me in Brooklyn and she gave me a number where they will take the little guy and turn him over to a rehabilitator there number is 718-435-6900 Dr Kescher. The only thing was when I asked them if they will put the dove to sleep they said they might and they don’t let you take the bird back. So I am really not sure if that is where I want to bring the little guy. I’m trying to save it not have it put to sleep I will try the other numbers in the above posts and find the best one and will write back my findings.
Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tony,
The dove could have pox, paratyphoid or a combination of the two. Has the dove been where mosquitoes could get to it?

There is a vet in Brooklyn in the link that Terry provided...Dr. Richard Turoff at 718-625-7111.
This doctor I would not recommend I called 3 times explaining the problem and they just said call back Thursday, even after I explained the dove had the pox they said the doctor was to busy. So thumbs down to this one... Seemed not interested at all.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
This doctor I would not recommend I called 3 times explaining the problem and they just said call back Thursday, even after I explained the dove had the pox they said the doctor was to busy. So thumbs down to this one... Seemed not interested at all.
Tony, This is really good to know.
Maybe Terry can take him off the Pigeon Talk resource or maybe one of our NY members can give them a call to find out their policy on wildlife. If they aren't willing to be helpful, I don't think they should be on out list.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Dr. Linda Pesek, DVM, Dipl ABVP. The Center for Avian & Exotic Medicine. 568 Columbus Ave ?

The number I found is 212-501-8750
She must be next to or affiliated with Animal General.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Tony, Dr Pesek is in Westbury L I..... 319 Union Avenue....Westbury L I...... phone 516-333-1123. Where ever you go...they are bound by law to take the dove from you as it is a protected species.... just so you are aware and won't be surprised and distressed.
Taking the dove and giving it to someone to help it is fine and that is what we want to do but taking it to someone and they just put it to sleep is not what I'm going to do. I will find the best place for this little guy and I think I'm going to have to schlep all the way up to Animal General in NYC they seem to be wanting to help it and it is funded so they will most likely be the best bet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tony, This is really good to know.
Maybe Terry can take him off the Pigeon Talk resource or maybe one of our NY members can give them a call to find out their policy on wildlife. If they aren't willing to be helpful, I don't think they should be on out list.
I agree, they kept pushing me off telling me yesterday she had to look it up and to call today I called today she said call back Thursday This bird needs help now not days from now I was very upset with them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tony,

Dr. Pesek has examined some of my rehab birds, and I think she's great. There are few people who can parallel her knowledge. However, she works out of *many* different clinics, and it can be hard to get a hold of her. She works at Animal General Avian & Exotics (next door to their "regular" clinic) on Friday mornings and Saturdays, but be aware that if you take a wild bird to see her here, they will charge you full price, which will be in the hundreds. (Also, technicallly, their policy is that no wildlife can be seen there because of the threat of contagious disease, so you might not be able to get an appointment anyway.)

If you see Dr. Pesek at one of the LI clinics she works out of, there is no charge for an exam. As far as I know, she also takes drop-offs. In either case, it's wise to call ahead. She's at one LI clinic way out there tonight and back at the emergency place in Westbury tomorrow night.

I don't have any personal experience with Dr. Keschner, but there might be members on NYCPRC or PijnPeople (Yahoo groups) who do, so it might be worth a search there.

Jennifer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
BTW, Tony... Wild Bird Fund is funded by Donations. Again their number is 646-306-2862. You will be talking to Rita or Karen or Gloria.... they ARE the WBF. They are located in the AG hospital on 558 Columbus Ave near 87th St Manhattan ... C train Stop.
Spoke to Karen and we are leaving now to see what they will do I'll let you all know when I come back thank you for your help I'm sure he will given the best care at this place I made over 20 phone calls and this is the winner.

Tony

·
Registered
632 Posts
The fourth link contains some good factual information and microphotographs, but I was concerned about the actual treatment of the dove. Medicating the lesions with a solution and an ointment doesn't seem right, and I don't understand why it was deemed necessary to euthanize that bird. I would hesitate about consulting that vet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I just cam back from Animal General and Rita examined the dove and said it had pox and had to be euthanize because the wing was was fractured ( that red spot on the picture above) and she would not be able to fly again I am very sadden by this, I should have just kept her. Rita said the pox will go away over time and I could have just let her live her life out in my house rather then being euthanize just because it can't fly. I'm not sure when they will do it or if it is done already but if anyone wants to know it's being held at Animal General 646-306-2862. That will be the last time I bring any of my backyard doves to any Wild Bird Fund. or any rehab! I'm sure they could have kept her around hopping or what not. From now I will do as I have always done it myself. I had a robin redbreast back in 1978 she lived 20 years inside because she was not able to be set free again! I'm sure I could have done it with this one as well.
Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I do have another location For Brooklyn Dr. Michael Keocher 718 435-6900
Birds are dropped off -no fee- They will be evaluated and given to a rehabber for care.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts