Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the 2 baby doves we rescued, the smaller one didn't make it pass the 2nd week. Now, we only have 1 baby dove. He's about 15 days old. I'm not sure if he's grieving or sick. Before his poop was healthy, brown. I left him with my roomate for 1 day. She fed him kaytee formula only. When I returned, his poop is bright green. They're mixed of runny and dry poop. I read that he might not be fed enough, so I gave him a lot of kaytee last night. And his poop is still bright green, but not runny anymore.
Do I need to use probiotic? or any other treatment? I'm sorry, but I don't know what is a probiotic treatment for birds. Is it just regular yoghurt? or activia perhaps?
He's not as chipper as before, is he grieving because of the lost of the other doves?
Should I start feeding him more solid food other than kaytee? does he need grits, etc?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

- Levy

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
At this point I would recommend taking the baby to an avian vet. I don't think he is feeling bad because he is grieving.

In regards to the yogurt, make sure it is the organic, plain kind without sugar. You can also use a pinch of human grade probiotics-(found in refrigerator isle in health food store) and add that to the formula, I do know, however... that the kaytee already has some probiotic in it.

Make sure the baby is warm and out of air drafts too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My research found Trylong Bet Care at 98-83 Queens Boulevard. But the reviews that I found of the vet, seems to be mixed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've Setup an appointment with
Dr. Katherine Quesenberry
The Animal Medical Center
510 E. 62 St.
New York, NY 10021

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's doing much better today. I think he just didn't eat enough when we were away. He's much chipper and start to perch more instead of staying on the floor of his cage. He seems to eat more and less frequent. My guess is that he's about 16 days old now. :) Thank you for all of your concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts