Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site doing a search with duck leg infections, I hope someone can help me! I have some 10 day old ducklings. Their bands were left on for too long and several of them had some degree of injury from them and I feel terrible about it but I thought they were all ok. One of the runners is limping badly and has a distinctly swollen leg. I soaked it in a saltwater soak and in h203 but it seems really too late for those to help. I have some baytril on hand and I might consider starting it tonight if I can figure out a dose. Has anyone used it on such a small duck? It is still eating and drinking but I don't want to wait until the infection is too overwhelming. Please let me know what I can do! THank you!

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Images? ( of the Duck, and close ups of the effected Leg )

Is there broken skin?

What kind of 'bands' would be on Baby Ducks, anyway? to do something like this???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Images? ( of the Duck, and close ups of the effected Leg )

Is there broken skin?

What kind of 'bands' would be on Baby Ducks, anyway? to do something like this???
I'll try to take a photo. It's really just swollen. There is no oozing or anything and I can't really tell if it's hot to the touch but the limping has come on pretty suddenly with no apparent other injury.

There are two small punctures (that I doubt I can capture in a photo). The bands were done but the hatchery for sexing the ducklings. They are plastic bands that are somewhat pointy at the ends and quite stiff, I had to remove them with pliers. they were left on too long and got too tight :( I feel very bad about it!!

Poor little ducky!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Just in case you do decide to start treatment with Baytril, I had a look at a few of the old threads on ducks, and TAWhatley (Terry), who has a lot of hands on experience with ducks, recommended a dosing rate of 15mg/kg twice a day. Most times we try and use Trimethoprim/Sulfa in younger birds, but if you feel you need to get an antibiotic going you should be OK with this dosing.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Constriction can cause a localized swelling with no infection present.

This can take several days to self correct, once the constriction is relieved/removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much for all the responses. The duck seems to be doing fine now with no meds. She still sits a lot but someone who didn't know anything was wrong would not notice. I did lots of soaks and swimming in clean water. I also fed her separately (in addition to their constant food supply) to make sure she was getting enough food. I am keeping this thread handy for future reference :)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
thank you so much for all the responses. The duck seems to be doing fine now with no meds. She still sits a lot but someone who didn't know anything was wrong would not notice. I did lots of soaks and swimming in clean water. I also fed her separately (in addition to their constant food supply) to make sure she was getting enough food. I am keeping this thread handy for future reference :)
Hi Stamper, thanks for the update, glad things are working out for this little guy, good job.

Karyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts