Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm in a bit over my head. Today I rescued a young feral chick from my friend's neighborhood, who'd been attacked by something. He's got a rather large puncture wound on the back of his head and a few feathers missing around his wings. I'm quite concerned if he'll make it or not.

He seems very alert, his crop is still full, and he's chirping around. There was another youngster that was found dead, so I'm guessing he was attacked maybe yesterday, or day before.

Can someone please guide me through the steps to make sure that I can provide this young guy with the proper care it takes for him to make it through?

Thanks for any help. I'll post pictures when I get home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm actually quite worried about the extent of the injuries on his head. He's basically been scalped to some degree and has a large gash on the back of his head going from one side to the other.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I haven't yet been able to find anyone who rehabs feral pigeons in my city yet. I'm a couple of miles outside the city and don't have a car so I wouldn't be able to take him anywhere just yet. A couple of bird sanctuaries take care of a few flocks of feral pigeons, but it's the most basic of care (providing food and water) and nothing else, really.

I have him warm, he's very alert and active and seems quite hydrated and is producing very large poops. lol

I've taken care of about 10 baby pigeons this year (who all now live right outside my house and most are quite friendly, coming when called to, and so on) but nothing this bad. Any advice on what to feed him would be great. Should I get him some antibiotics? Pictures to come soon.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
* I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I haven't yet been able to find anyone who rehabs feral pigeons in my city yet. I'm a couple of miles outside the city and don't have a car so I wouldn't be able to take him anywhere just yet. A couple of bird sanctuaries take care of a few flocks of feral pigeons, but it's the most basic of care (providing food and water) and nothing else, really.

** I have him warm, he's very alert and active and seems quite hydrated and is producing very large poops. lol

I've taken care of about 10 baby pigeons this year (who all now live right outside my house and most are quite friendly, coming when called to, and so on) but nothing this bad.

*** Any advice on what to feed him would be great.

**** Should I get him some antibiotics? Pictures to come soon.
* Unfortunately, the only contact I have is in Edmonton. :(

** That's great. If the little one has been warming for 25-30 minutes chances are his body temperature is where it should be.

*** If he's only aout 20 days old, he may need some assistance on feeding. KayTee Exact baby bird formula is good, if you can get some.

**** Yes. If he has a puncture wound, he should be on antibiotics. However I don't have enough 'medication' experience to offer any advice but I have sent a note to a couple of members who are hopefully available to help.
Whenever you're able to post some pictures, that would be most helpful.

You're doing a great job. ;)
Hang in there. :)

Cindy

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

For a bird that's been attacked by 'unknown' we would give Synulox (in the UK). That may be know in Canada the same, or as Noroclav or Clavamox.

If he was attacked by a cat or dog, this is pretty important, as the saliva from either - let alone the damage of the wound itself - can be fatal if not given antibiotics.

Here, this is a vet prescription only medication, but I don't know what the regulations are in Canada.

I'd suggest flushing the wound as far as possible with a sterile saline solution, but I have used freshly boiled water, allowed to cool to just warm, with sea salt dissolved (or even plain old table salt) on a nasty wound on a pigeon. If you have a pharmacy anywhere around, some antseptic gel like "Intrasite" on the wound would also be of some help.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.