Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to here. My fiance works at a farm and they periodically shoot any pigeons they find on the farm because they make a mess and are not wanted... I absolutely love pigeons and find this cruel because the babies end up starving to death, or are killed if found.
Well I rescued two babies the day before yesterday. My fiance actually found them and brought them home without his boss knowing. They are about 9-12 days old. They have pin feathers and some yellow downy fluff left. I have been giving them Kaytee exact baby bird formula. I have been feeding them 4-5 times a day. Or whenever their crops feel empty. I have a heat emitter over them and i keep them at a constant 85 - 90 degrees. They seem to be doing well. They "bicker" a lot with one another. Is it better to keep them together or separate them?? They make way more noise when together and rub their beaks on each other. I am a little worried they may poke an eye out when they grow older :confused:

I read that they stop squeaking when they are full... mine seem to take a while to settle down. And whenever they hear mine or my fiances voices they get super excited and squeak. I don't want to STUFF them. I think their crops feel very full after feedings even though they continue wanting more.

I would appreciate any advice, I have raised two pigeons previously but I was a young girl and didn't really know what I was doing.
I tried to post pics of the babes but my camera cord is not working... :(

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Melissa... thanks to your good heart and taking the pigeons home :)

They will squeak for sometime, close to about 1.5 months old reducing the noise day by day. I have heard that Kaytee is good for pigeon squabs, you can find more details about taking care of young ones in the "Resources" section in the landing page of pigeon-talk. Do provide them with a flooring on which they can grip on to avoid splayed legs. An old piece of cloth or shirt will do fine.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
feed again only when the crop is empty, if too much gets in there is can get sour and become a danger to the squab. what are you feeding them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am feeding them Kaytee exact baby bird formula . I know in the states it is common but in the UK it is not. I read it is good for rearing baby pigeons, and most baby birds really. When I was younger I found a nest that had been ruined and the squab was on the sidewalk. I was 12. I brought it home and actually raised it on chicken eggs. Horrible, i know. BUT it worked. I didn't know what else would have enough protein to give a baby nutrients.

I am thinking it may be time to introduce solids. I have read grain, peas, and corn. Is this typically what you give the baby pigeons at first??? Should i start now or wait longer? Are there any other solid foods I can give?

Oh and I have them in an Easter basket with paper towels and a little hay for a good grip. Since I have lots of hay, it makes it easier to clean their basket.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I usually feed babies formula until month old. There is no rush to introduce them to solids as formula provides all ingredients (vitamins minerals etc.) for young birds. I would also keep them together as they will preen each other, warm each other and socialize while you are not around. They will not hurt each other as in the nature they grow together too.
At this age I feed mine 3 times a day 10~15 ml formula per feed. Crop should feel 2/3 full. Later by day 20 I feed dwice a day 20~35 ml per feed. Rather leave them hungry than overfeeding as sour crop and crop stasis are serious condition in youngsters.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

Hi Melissa,

Are these feral pigeons or woodies?

Can you let us know where you are? There might be a sanctuary that can help.

This is a website that I am building, it covers information like what to feed, how often etc. (Click on "Rescuing a Baby Pigeon" in the contents. It also has a list (still in progress) of places that will treat and rehab pigeons.

http://pigeonrescueuk.webs.com/

Keep them together...baby pigeons get very attached to their nest mates and when they are released....if they are released...they will have each other.

Cynthia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are feral rock pigeons. I live in the US, in Massachusetts. I am not sure if there are rehabilitation centers that would want them... They are generally frowned upon and considered pests.

I think however, they are beautiful and intelligent. Just because they are abundant does not mean they are "rats with wings". My finance thinks the babies are hideous. He stated " I thought baby animals are supposed to be cute...?" He is just messing around though. He loves animals.

I found some pictures, one that shows a good pic of what the adults look like and the other is pretty close to what mine look like now.
I am guessing they are 9-10 days old. Any other guesses would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hey mellissa, i'm in mass also.
thank you for saving the little sweeties.
your feeding the right thing.
i put seed in almost right away with a small dish of water, and i peck at it with my fingers everyday.
they won't touch it for a while but sooner or later they get it that they can get their own snacks.
they will always squeak when they hear or see you hungry or not, even squeak at each other, squeak, eat, poop, sleep..sqeak,eat, poop, sleep..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Mellissa. Thanks for saving these two, and welcome to Pigeon Talk. You can leave a little seed with them, and they may start pecking at it. I would only leave a little bit though. I had a baby who started pecking seed and didn't stop until he was over filled. His crop didn't empty as it should. It felt like concrete. We finally did get it to empty, but now I only leave a small amount that they can peck up. Definitely keep the babies together. Much better when they can grow up together. It helps them to learn to socialize. Where in Mass. are you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live near Nashua, NH. I use to go shopping every year in Kittery! I love those outlets.

I am still unsure what I want to do with them after they are grown, I guess it depends on how dependent or independent they are.
They still seem to be doing well. I can clearly see how fast they are growing.

Thank you everyone for your advise!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
it's something you need to think about now because you should modify how you interact with them depending on what you hope for thier outcome.
if you plan to release, you should keep all contact to a minimum and keep feeding quick and business like, no talking or snuggling.
don't let them see anyone besides you for feedings and definatly don't let them have any interactions with your pets if you have any, they will need to fear dogs, cats and humans for that matter to survive.
if you plan on keeping them give them all the love you can!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts