Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a few days ago my husband found a baby dove on the ground while mowing the grass. We are trying to take care of it. I know how crucial it is to keep it warm. I also bought baby bird formula ... but the bird isn't very eager to eat and I can't tell if it's eating at all. It seems to me like it is sucking and swallowing some, but I don't see any crop growing. Its poop is rather green, bright green yesterday ... today it was somewhat darker and more solid. It was at its worst condition yesterday, it got out of its nest and become cold. Telling the truth, I think it was minutes from dying … bringing its body temperature higher made all the difference. I brought the little guy with me to work today, so I can make sure it’s warm and cozy. I do not know about that eating though. Is it OK to wait until the baby wants to eat or should I force it on him/her? How can I tell if it's eating? It shakes his head often and sometimes I see bubbles coming out of his nose(?) while eating, does it mean it's choking or inhaling food? I do see its throat moving like if it was swallowing sometimes. Do you guys have any advice?

Also, I'm attaching a picture of him/her.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like an inca dove which are ground doves, it's parents were probably near by and were feeding it, so it would of been best to leave it alone, but now it needs something, I would try to give him some small seends and pop them in his beak. others will be along to help better than I can. where are you located as there may be a rehaber with knowledge near you.
We live in Indiana, I don't think we have inca doves here. The bird would have gotten run over by the mower if my husband didn't pick it up, but I wish we could have given it back to the parents. We have a wild animal center around here, we've taken some birds there before. I just wanted to try to care for it myself. I was worried they give those baby birds we bring them to the owl they keep there at the animal center.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I took it to Wild Animal Center. They said it looked good and should be fine. They will tube feed it for now. They said we did the right thing picking it up and bringing it there. It didn’t have much chance of surviving considering that we have a cat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.