Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found what I think is a baby pidgeon maybe around 20 days old. what do I do now I fed it some exact formula and put some grain in the cage. It doesn't seem to be hurt

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
So sorry your post wasn't acknowledged sooner. Here are some prewritten feeding instructions...

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Where are you located in case we have a member near you that can take the baby or advise you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Rockport Texas. He is eating well. I am feeding him exact hand feeding formula through a large syringe with a baloon on the end with a hole in it. For some reason he took to that method better than just using regular syringe. I have raised several little morning doves with real good success but never a pidgeon. I bought him some millit spray and dove and pidgeon grain today but he does not seem interested in eating that way. Maybe I will try the corn & peas so he will start eating on his own. I am not sure of his age. He has wing feathers but still a little bare under the wings. I don't know for sure when they are supposed to star eating seed

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I think you will need to teach him to eat on his own. That's why I like the corn and peas method. It doesn't take long at all before they are grabbing the peas and corn right out of your hand, eating on their own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.