Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I haven't posted in a while but had a general question. I have 2 baby pigeons maybe alittle over 6 weeks old. Both are from different pairs but born relatively a day or 2 apart. They are both full feathered. One has already been flying around in the loft to the aviary and back to its nesting are for about 5 days now. The other one a few days ago fell out of its nest and was pecked so badly on its head which caused a big gash and was bleeding bad when I noticed he was on the floor of the loft. I placed him back on the nest. the following day I seen him in my aviary but he would not fly back to the nest. The father came down to feed him a few times but it never seemed to fly up to the nest. By now it should be flying but something seems wrong. His foot was a bit deformed where its toes are curled in. When I hold him in my hand he seems to just fly to the floor and not fly up. Is it possible that this bird will never be able to fly? Should I wait to see if it gets bigger and maybe it will learn to fly but the other baby has been flying for 5 days now and they are both the same size.
Thoughts? Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Give him some more time. He is probably still terrified by the attack and prefers to be as "invisible" as can be. Do your birds get regular vitamins and calcium with added Vit D3? When they start flying, it's much easier for them to fly downward than upwards. I'm sure he will soon catch up.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi, a lack of vit B2 (riboflavin) could cause curled toes (vitamins B have interrelated functions so a deficiency in one could cause others not to be fully effective).
A lack of manganese and folic acid could cause malformation in foot and legs in young birds, etc.

I would regularly give him a complete vitamin supplement, something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good:

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/gb/oropharma/products/oropharma-omnivit

It contains vitamins, amino acids and trace elements. In any case it will surely help him to get stronger.

Are you treating the wound on his head?
A few months ago I treated a pigeon who was badly pecked on his head. I disinfected the injury and put an antibiotic cream twice a day for some days then an healing cream for others day. Daily check the injury and decide how long to apply the creams.

I would give him the vitamin supplement for 5 consecutive days (then remember to give it regularly, just check the directions for use) and give him some time. Other than scared I think that he also doesn't feel really well because of the wound.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned the wound and put a little neosporin on his head. Been doing that for a couple of days. I don't give them vitamins but do give red grit a few days a week. I will start them on vitamins once a week. Thank you for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts