Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - hi to all, newcomer to forum.

Thursday hubby came home from work, telling me he's sad, and appeared that there was a pigeon nest on roof top at his work with a baby in, and monday would be the day when they start works on the roof.

Few minutes of thinking, and decided it was - we will pick up the baby and hand feed it, as the nest is in middle of city so there was nowhere to move the nest, and the owner of building would never postpone the works for the bird.

So here we are - spent friday searching for information, saturday morning shopping for supplies, and picked up the baby from roof on saturday evening.

So far so good, baby's eating well, is active and is practising to stand up.

Just some questions - any ideas how old (s)he is? My best guess would be 7-10 days? And you think it will manage through night without food? Got up last night, but if i could sleep.. Luckily enough work is close enough so i can spend my lunch feeding the bird :D

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think the baby is 10 days at least. You did right to bring the baby home because the parents wouldn't have found the baby had the nest been moved.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Patrika...how is the baby doing ? Thanks for saving her/him !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baby's fine. Growing, eating like a little monster, thinks that i'm his mommy and so on.

Feathers are there now, spikes starting to spread out to real feathers in ends, and he's doing lot of spreading his wings. He's also walking now since yesterday.

Anybody have an idea how and when could start trying to give him seeds? (he's on babyfood now)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
By 18 they should try pecking the seeds. Usually they learn in company mimicking other birds' actions and eventually get the idea. You can try mimicking the action with your hand, index finger curved and pointing out and tapping on the seeds, repeat this every time before you feed the little one, he may not be willing to try once he is fed full belly..... full crop ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts