Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of materials do you feed ur baby pigeon because i have two baby pigeon and the first one is always being fed by the parents rather than the second one. also the first one is bigger than the second one. the second one is like very skinny with an empty stoamch but i put some pigeon feed in the second baby already and it won't digest the food yet. what should i do to make the parents pigeon fed the second one...?need help....?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Hey yang_fla0vr;

That happened to me twice already. Basically the parent knows whether one of their kid is not healthy and they don't like to feed them. It also happens that the skinny baby doesn't beg for more food. In the end both skinny survived because the parents feed them a little bit and as weeks go by, they feed them more. If you are planning to hand feed this skinny baby, you can try those Exact baby food. I feed my birds part pellets and when those pellets get soaked with water, they break down easily. I suppose you are planning to supplement the young baby? In the meantime I encourage you to put some garlic(4 sliced cloves in 1 gallon) on their drinker so that the parent will drink those and give to those babies as well. Observe for now to make absolute sure that the skinny baby is not being feed or not. Most likely it is being feed, but doesn't eat much. If it is not being feed, then the baby is sick and the parents are abandoning it so you will be forced to hand feed that baby. You really can't do anything about the parents.

rod

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it's been 2 1/2 weeks and the first baby is like getting huge beside the second one. the second one looks like it is only a week old even though it hatch the day before the first one. I guess i am going to supplement the second baby because it's so skinny and i don't want it to died, you know. well i only see the parents feeding the first baby most of the time and it's stomach is huge compare to the second one. Do you know why my second baby pigeon is sick or ill? thank you for helping me...!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Yang,

Yes, you need to feed the smaller baby. You also need to try and find out if the parents carry paratyphoid (salmonellosis). Aside from one baby just falling behind because it can't compete with a larger and stronger sibling, paratyphoid typically results in a smaller and less healthy baby. You really do need to look into this and if the parents are carriers, then you need to treat them and also the babies.

Terry

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Please get some proper baby bird feeding formula from the pet store, something like Kaytee Exact, or ask them to help you pick something out. It is usually a powder that you mix with warm water. It's very important to go to Search (top of page on the right) and Keyword "baby feeding" and "Hand feeding" as there are some very important things to do while feeding a baby. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts