Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new Baby Indian Fantail Pigeon is almost 2 weeks old and I see that the parents not feeding them regularly. the babies always sqeek for the food but both the parents tend to neglect it.
Can I feed them grains directly? or should I look out for a baby food readily available in the market (Need to check the availability in the market).
Kindly advise me as how to get the babies healthy....

Pics:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
51 Posts
if u can get board bean and peas or such like grains and boil it n water until gets mushy to be easy to the bird to ingest and mush it with fork + little warm water in it and thin fill it in empty ketchep bottle and feed em by it till the crop gets full maybe twice till 3 times a day and if they parents neglected them dont remove them from their nest they might get fed ffrom the parents even a little?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the parents might feed them a little......
any more suggestions....
help wanted please

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I think the parents might feed them a little......
any more suggestions....
help wanted please
Are those two babies siblings? If so, there's quite a big difference in their sizes.
I would hand feed the smaller one a couple of times a day. Even though it may be 2 weeks old, it's not as mature as a 2 week old and needs some extra food.
I would get some baby bird food for the smaller one.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Also, someone will probably say that your pigeons might have paratyphoid.
A tiny baby with a huge sibling is often (but not always) an indication of paratyphoid, as it shows its affects in babies and older pigeons usually when the parents can seem quite healthy and/or be carriers. That's why we will often tell people that there may be paratyphoid. The first warning of paratyphoid to a pigeon keeper is usually a baby being much tinier than its sibling; not feathering correctly or in a timely manner such as the sibling; not growing or growing very slowly. That is why someone usually will say check for paratyphoid. Often grown birds will not show signs of this disease and the first time it is noticed is with the babies.

Of course, some babies are just runts and need a bit of a hand, or have a piggy older sibling who hogs all the food. :rolleyes: Either way, the littler one will do better with a bit of supplemental feeding. At around two weeks of age (for the babies), the parents should be setting up another nest and laying new eggs, and will not sit on the older babies except at night anymore. They will feed them a few times a day so you may be missing them do it. Do you have baby bird food available? I would feed the little one extra, at least. Good luck.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I often find that with yearling birds, they sit the first egg before laying the second. This means that the first egg hatches a couple of days before the second and the older sibling, being larger and stronger seems to demand the parents attention to the detriment of the smaller second baby. I solve this by removing the elder baby each time I feed the parents (several times a day) and then replacing it when I can see that the smaller one has a full crop.:)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I often find that with yearling birds, they sit the first egg before laying the second. This means that the first egg hatches a couple of days before the second and the older sibling, being larger and stronger seems to demand the parents attention to the detriment of the smaller second baby. I solve this by removing the elder baby each time I feed the parents (several times a day) and then replacing it when I can see that the smaller one has a full crop.:)
This is also true, thanks Pigeonpoo. That is very good advice to follow to make sure the littlest baby is getting fed. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the smaller baby is 2 to 3 days younger than the bigger one. But the size really worries me. its almost half the size of the older one.
Any way, I am today going to the market in search of the Baby food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts