Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm in doubt about how to better feed this baby pigeon that I found yesterday. I've researched online but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, so I thought I'd ask directly what might be the best in my case.

I assume they must be around 1 week old or less. I've been trying to feed by gently prying open their beak, but I've seen some people feeding babies with a cut syringe and fabric so they can put their beak inside it and eat like they would with their momma bird. Is that ideal for this baby?

I am also in doubt about how much to feed them daily/per feeding, and how many times. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Bird Organism Feather Terrestrial plant Beak

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
The cut-off syringe method works perfect at that age. There are plenty of videos on youtube: how to feed baby pigeon. You might have to guide the beak inside the syringe the first time, but they quickly learn.

Are you feeding a handraising formula for baby parrots? That works best. Make it the consistency of tomato ketchup. Feed about 10 to 15 ml every 4 hours (4 times a day). The crop should not be overfilled and must empty inbetween feedings. There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings, then you know food is digesting well. You can also add human baby applesauce to his formula, one feeding every day. This will speed up digestion.
Only feed during the day, let the crop empty completely overnight.

He will need additional heat as he is still very young. They don't digest food well when cold. Try to get a heatpad, otherwise a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft blanket and him on top will do. Just change the water regularly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What a cute squab!! 😭 I hope the feeding has been going well, I second what Marina B had to offer!

Another tip I can think of is to slowly thicken the consistency. I use Kaytee Exact formula, it has everything they need. As they progress through the weeks, and I let the formula be a bit thicker (but not too thick, too fast, and never dry formula!), I also add in a bit of water per each feeding. Around 3 to 4 weeks, you can start teaching them to drink water on their own and introduce them to some seeds that they’ll practice picking up.

Honestly, squab (and pigeons in general) are extremely hardy. Keep it warm until it gets its feathers in so they can digest, and enjoy your new friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the answers!

I've been doing what Marina suggested and its working out very well. They're starting to get their feathers now and get bigger with each passing day, I'm very happy! :)

I've started to offer them water during feedings as well and they're already drinking a bit on their own! I'm assuming they're around 15 days now. I think I'll try to start offering some seeds to see if they'll pick them. For now, have a picture of the baby today during one of their (messy) feedings:

Bird Beak Phasianidae Feather Chicken

Very photogenic!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing well. When you offer him seeds, play with the seeds by using your fingers. Push them around, pick them up and drop again. He will copy what your fingers are doing. Also offer seeds of different shapes and sizes. He will start eating one type of seed (easiest to pick up and swallow) but will eventually start eating the other types as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now THAT has got to be one of the cutest squabs!!! So happy they’re growing so nicely! Some squabs pick up the whole ‘self feeding’ thing faster than others so when you start, have patience if they take a little longer! My first bird took forever learning how to eat on her own, while my second bird was chugging seeds the first chance he had haha. You can find all kinds of pigeon seed mixes - a quick search around this site can help you find which seeds to make sure it includes. I use Top Gun mix and offer my birds greens and red racing pigeon grit, and occasionally other stuff like mango and apples (they don’t really need it, they just insist on eating whatever I’m eating haha). Good luck with the seed training!

I’d love to see more pics as it grows, such a cute lil fella!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts