Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 days ago i brought a rescued baby pigeon at home (at that time it was arround 2 week old) ! in my region baby formula is not avaialable and i have to order it online which is too costly sold here and i cant afford it ! so i started giving it human baby formula named (cerelac wheat only 6 month) ! everything was fine untill i think i over fed him or he didnt digest and i didnt notice ! from 3 days his crop is emptying only half way not full ,I tried waiting for 24hrs for the crop to empty but it was futile. and as a result baby got weakened very badly ! its dropping its weight ! i dont want to perform crop flush as im a newbie or rather need someone to guide me step by step so that bird doesnt aspirate ! apart from that i see some white substance in his throat im thinking that it is residue of baby formula , well if not if it is canker how do i recognize it and how do i treat it ! someone please contact me i need step by step guidiance asap i dont wanna loose this baby as ive already lost one rescue bird ! please contact me asap!

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
318 Posts
Try to keep the little one very warm at around 30-35°C to aid in digestion. You may have to slowly and carefully try to massage the crop downwards to aid in the process.

Do you smell a bad odor or anything abnormal from the bird near its beak?
Is the bird having normal firm droppings recently, or currently?
Or are the droppings very green and have an bad smell or odor?

The crop may be impacted, or there can be a obstruction due to a fungus or a canker lesion. Usually "sour crop" or canker will smell very sour and bad.

If the crop is completely impacted and stopped up despite heat therapy and manual crop massaging, usually surgery or flushing is needed. Try to never feed until the crop completely empties on its own and keep the baby pigeon very warm especially at an early age.

I will reply in a few minutes as soon as I can provide a helpful video or website for flushing out the crop. I hope heat therapy will be helpful as it often will help.

·
Registered
318 Posts

I am hopeful this video may be of help to you.

Try to place warm (25-30°C) water deep into the crop and use only a little water every time to prevent aspiration. Also, hold the bird upside down a little longer to fully remove and empty liquids and crop contents before returning the pigeon to an upright position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to keep the little one very warm at around 30-35°C to aid in digestion. You may have to slowly and carefully try to massage the crop downwards to aid in the process.

Do you smell a bad odor or anything abnormal from the bird near its beak?
Is the bird having normal firm droppings recently, or currently?
Or are the droppings very green and have an bad smell or odor?

The crop may be impacted, or there can be a obstruction due to a fungus or a canker lesion. Usually "sour crop" or canker will smell very sour and bad.

If the crop is completely impacted and stopped up despite heat therapy and manual crop massaging, usually surgery or flushing is needed. Try to never feed until the crop completely empties on its own and keep the baby pigeon very warm especially at an early age.

I will reply in a few minutes as soon as I can provide a helpful video or website for flushing out the crop. I hope heat therapy will be helpful as it often will help.
Droppings Are Very Green, I tried mixing Apple Cider Vinegar just a 2 or 3 drops then the droppings turned light green and are very liquidy from the day i brought him,
from his throat there is smell of baby food i gave and his droppings smell like eggs

yesterday I triend to not feed untill the crop empties on its own but it didnt empty on its own even after 24 hours and the baby got very beak !

okay i will try keeping him warm.

during the early days i suddenly increased the thickness of formula, but now im giving as dilute as possible and during early days i was not providing him water aditionally but now im providing him water and he is drinking in a very thirsty way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am hopeful this video may be of help to you.
I have seen this video but im afraid that , what if he aspirates? what are the details that should keep in mind so that he is safe while doing this process and should i squeeze the crop untill completely flat?

should the water be plain ? and should it be warm ?

how to make sure i have performed this succesfully and safely and how much time should wait for next feeding after this procedure?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just added a few notes to the bottom of the video post which should help to prevent aspiration.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Don't do the crop flush if you are not comfortable with that. Can you get hold of Nystatin and metronidazole from a pharmacy? These are human meds, but can be used for pigeons. Nystatin is an anti-fungal and metronidazole for canker.

·
Registered
318 Posts
should the water be plain ? and should it be warm ?

how to make sure i have performed this succesfully and safely and how much time should wait for next feeding after this procedure?
Yes, the water should be plain water, preferably distilled or previously boiled. It should be warm and not too hot or cold.

Once the crop is empty, I would wait for about 20-30 minutes to ensure the crop is entirely empty. You can try to offer some water before feeding. A better crop formula will be needed. Pigeons can not tolerate or digest milk fat or milk protein. They need simple proteins and more omega fatty acids along with vitamins. Any baby parrot or baby bird handfeeding formula should do with perhaps some added fish oil and omega-3 added to the mixture. Also, try to warm the food in a plastic bag placed into a cup of hot water to prewarm the food, but be careful not to get too hot but close to 25-30°C.

The droppings can be runny in very young baby pigeons. But as long as it is having droppings, and they do not smell bad, this is better than no droppings. Perhaps after getting the bird eating well, you may need to have the bird checked for salmonella or avian chlamydia or cocci.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As Marina B said a moment ago, it may be best to find a pigeon rescue center or pigeon racing club nearby who would be experienced in performing crop flushing if you are not completely comfortable or unsure about doing it. You will need a plastic syringe like shown in the video with a somewhat long flexible tip to ensure the water goes completely down into the crop towards the left side of the esophagus, and not to overfill or allow water to rise up into the throat near the base of the tongue where the opening to the windpipe (trachea) is situated. Birds can not close off their windpipe like animals do and this is the most important thing to keep in mind whenever you force any liquid (be it water, medicine, or liquidy food) into the bird. Even food that is too watery or runny can cause problems and should always be avoided when handfeeding baby birds as aspirarion of food or liquids can occur too often sadly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Keeping the baby very warm may encourage proper digestion on its own. But I would recommend getting help locally if you do not have the right syringe or are uncomfortable with doing a crop flush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE : I HAVE STARTED GIVING HIM LIQUIDY FORMULA AS HE WAS VERY WEAKENED AND IS EMPTYING CROP ALMOST 80PRCNT THE REMAINING 20 PRCNT NEVER DIGESTS . HIS DROPPINGS BECAME SMALL AND A LITTLE THICK STILL LIQUIDY

THE PROBLEM NOW IS HE HAS STOPPED SQUAKING . AND JUST SLEEPING ALL THE TIME LOW TEMPERATE AND TOO WEAK YO STRETCH HIS WINGS. AND HIS ONE EYE IS LITTLE SWOLLEN AND WHEN I WAKE HIM UP ALL HE IS MAKING IS A CLICK SOUND . HOW SHOULD I TREAT HIM ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Keep the baby very warm (30-35°C). He will need urgent veterinary care and antibiotics as he may indeed have an infection (maybe bacterial or fungal), especially when he now has a swollen eye and feels cold, has abnormal droppings, and fails to completely empty his crop. He may have aspiration pneumonia if he makes a clicking sound. He now needs professional care urgently. Perhaps there is a local pigeon club or organization who has experts that can treat him if there is no veterinary doctor who specializes in treating pigeons or birds. He will most likely need antibiotics and vitamin injections and further diagnosis. I pray he will recover, insha'allah.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Can you take a flashlight and check inside his beak and the back of his throat if you see any white or yellow growths?

Do you have access to human meds from a pharmacy? If you can't take him to a vet, you will need to treat him yourself otherwise he will die. Try to get the following: metronidazole tablets, clavet 50 and Nystatin.

The metro is for canker, the clavet 50 (amoxycillin) can be used for aspiration pneumonia (the clicking sound-he might have aspirated some water), the Nystatin is for yeast.

You will also need to weigh him, so one can work out the dosages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you take a flashlight and check inside his beak and the back of his throat if you see any white or yellow growths?

Do you have access to human meds from a pharmacy? If you can't take him to a vet, you will need to treat him yourself otherwise he will die. Try to get the following: metronidazole tablets, clavet 50 and Nystatin.

The metro is for canker, the clavet 50 (amoxycillin) can be used for aspiration pneumonia (the clicking sound-he might have aspirated some water), the Nystatin is for yeast.

You will also need to weigh him, so one can work out the dosages.
there is formation of something gluey white substance in his mouth and throat , there is no clicking sound anymore its just he hasnt sqeaked from two days, he weights just 150gms, yes i can get the medicines but what would be the dosage and will he be able to handle it as he is too weak to even stand, yeah i think its yeast so nystatin syrup i can get it but what should be the dosage ? can i perform crop flush when he is weakened?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Don't do a crop flush if you are unsure how to do it. Are there still food inside the crop? Get the Nystatin and also a jar of baby applesauce. Put small amounts of Nystatin in his mouth, 0.3 ml should be enough. Wait half an hour and then feed him warmed up diluted baby apolesauce. Little bits at a time during the day and very gently massage the crop. Nystatin you can give again in the evening, also 0.3 ml. It's now very important to get the crop going, he is starving with a crop full of food. Massage until he starts producing droppings. Nystatin shoukd be given twice a day for 7 to 10 days, works better on a empty crop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't do a crop flush if you are unsure how to do it. Are there still food inside the crop? Get the Nystatin and also a jar of baby applesauce. Put small amounts of Nystatin in his mouth, 0.3 ml should be enough. Wait half an hour and then feed him warmed up diluted baby apolesauce. Little bits at a time during the day and very gently massage the crop. Nystatin you can give again in the evening, also 0.3 ml. It's now very important to get the crop going, he is starving with a crop full of food. Massage until he starts producing droppings. Nystatin shoukd be given twice a day for 7 to 10 days, works better on a empty crop.
i dont think he will make it for another 24 hours as 50% of his crop is never digesting and he is tooooooo weak
its been 24hrs last fed and pooped 50% without any problem but undigested and liquidy another 50% is never digesting..
i was heating water for crop flush as i type . if you suggest that nystatin will work for sure then i wont do crop flush and get nystatin. and the nystatin i can obtain is for pediatric use i.e, human baby, so still the dosage must be 0.3ml ?
i dont know what apple sauce is and it isnt available comercially over here so how do i make it ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i dont think he will make it for another 24 hours as 50% of his crop is never digesting and he is tooooooo weak
its been 24hrs last fed and pooped 50% without any problem but undigested and liquidy another 50% is never digesting..
i was heating water for crop flush as i type . if you suggest that nystatin will work for sure then i wont do crop flush and get nystatin. and the nystatin i can obtain is for pediatric use i.e, human baby, so still the dosage must be 0.3ml ?
i dont know what apple sauce is and it isnt available comercially over here so how do i make it ?
UPDATE : WILL HE SURVIVE AS HE HAS DILATED HIS PUPILS AND SOME DISCHARGE THROUGH BEAK AND BREATHING LIKE GRANNY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO I DONT WANNA LOSE HIM DUE TO MY IMPROPER CARE , I DONT WANT TO FAIL AT HIM :'( THERE IS SOUND NEEZING AS HE BREATH
IS HE GONE BLIND BY ONE EYE ? HIS PUPIL IS MAGNIFIED AND NOT RESPONDING AT ALL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE : WILL HE SURVIVE AS HE HAS DILATED HIS PUPILS AND SOME DISCHARGE THROUGH BEAK AND BREATHING LIKE GRANNY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO I DONT WANNA LOSE HIM DUE TO MY IMPROPER CARE , I DONT WANT TO FAIL AT HIM :'(
UPDATE : WILL HE SURVIVE AS HE HAS DILATED HIS PUPILS AND SOME DISCHARGE THROUGH BEAK AND BREATHING LIKE GRANNY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO I DONT WANNA LOSE HIM DUE TO MY IMPROPER CARE , I DONT WANT TO FAIL AT HIM :'(
THERE IS NEEZING SOUND AS HE BREATH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts