Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I found a baby pigeon in the street and have had him about two hours and it is Friday Night May 15th at 8pm
I looked up some ages on some sites and it looks as if it is about 10 to 14 days old.
First question. Is there anyone in AZ who takes these wild street pigeons?
Second. While I find out about question one.... what site or instructions can you point me to to best care for the bird?

Thank you very Much
Debbie
If anyone can help by taking the baby my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave
I will be waiting..... but I can not wait on the how to care for him so I am feeding him
this evening some food... And I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hi Debbie,
There is a rehabber in Peoria.
Her name is Jody and her phone number is 623-533-2348.

It's probably too late to give her a call tonight, but be sure to give her a call in the morning.

Cindy

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for taking care of this pigeon. For tonight please keep him warm, you can use a heating pad set on low with a towel over it, or a sock full of uncooked rice can be microwaved (check for "hot spots" in it. Pigeons are seed eaters and do not eat worms or the like. A meal of Kaytee Exact or similar baby bird formula would be ideal but as it's late it's unlikely you can pick some up. Once he is warm and hydrated (please see section "I found a pigeon"), you can put some moistened (completely soft) dog kibble in his beak. It's not very good for him but will do for tonight to put something in his stomach until you can get him to a rehabber or until you can get some formula. Human baby cereal would work as well. You can keyword search "found" and will find many threads started by people in your position, that will likely answer some other questions you may think of. Please feel free to ask any that you don't find answers to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help.
I just got your messages. I did use a heating pad and kept him walm all night. I put together some cat food and oatmeal blend and he ate last night and this morning and this afternoon. He is already getting used to it and I also have baby formula I forgot about. He is staying nice and warm and I was able to check for any injuries and check wings fully etc. He seems fine. Do you know how to tell if male or female?

What are my chances of doing this on my own compared to getting him to someone else such as the person you listed? I have to call them and I will be. But I am wondering. I was headed up to the pet shop to get the bird formula.

Thanks for your help everyone Much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Just to clarify...the human baby ceral that is best to use, when one is out of hand feeding formula for birds, is the powdered baby rice, mixed with warm water and some applesauce for human babies. It's an easy find for those late at night emergencies when the pet supply is closed. This is a temporary formula and not intended to replace a hand feeding formula designed for birds.
Just as with the hand feeding formula you should only make as much as you will feed at one time. All left overs should be discarded and not reused.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
You probably can full this off on your own. The advantage of taking the bird to a rehabber is that he will likely be raised with other baby pigeons and be released with them. If you raise the bird he won't be socialized with other Pigeons, he will be human identified and you will likely need to keep him or find a home. That's OK but keep in mind that Pigeons can live 20 years or longer so it is a huge commitment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts