Pigeon-Talk banner

Baby pigeon found - not eating much

737 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Marina B 
#1 ·
Hi all

I found a baby pigeon last night. Was on the floor, looked like it had fallen or been attacked. Had some blood on it’s back and top of it’s nose.

Survived the night and all of today. Is certainly perking up a bit more now, moving around but mostly still. I’ve been providing heat (hot water bottle under the box with plenty of layers between so it’s not too hot), water and food. From images, I’d say it’s around the 10 day mark. I saw some recommendations for readybrek so have been mixing that with seeds for now, but it takes a bit of force feeding with a syringe to get it to eat anything. Food is always available in the box regardless.

I’ve also tried a bottle with a balloon over the top. Little thing is simply not at all eager to eat. Poo is still quite hard and looks relatively healthy from research, but I can’t think it is very full from the amount of food I’ve managed to get it to eat.

Any advice? There’s no rescues near me whatsoever and the one person I know who has racing pigeons hasn’t responded to my messages yet.

#3 ·
Watch some videos on youtube "how to feed baby pigeon". You need a cut-off syringe as in the photo, the end covered with a piece of rubber glove that has an x cut into. That is where the baby will stick his beak inside to eat. They sometimes need some guidance before they start eating. A formula for baby parrots works well.

Can you post a photo of him? When 2 weeks and older, they can be handfed small green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Open his beak and put a pea deep inside over the tongue for him to swallow.

#4 ·
I tried the rubber trick but didn’t seem to care for it. I’ve managed to do a decent feed by opening the beak slightly and syringing in. Will have another go later tonight as I doubt it was enough to fill her up.

I tried some defrosted peas yesterday but they got spat/shook out. Managed to get a seed in without a syringe just now so I’m hoping she’ll start taking harder food without the syringe soon and will try peas again tomorrow. Seems less scared of me now, so maybe her appetite will come back soon.

Set her up with a new blanket and little bird stuffed toy so she’s nice and warm between hot water bottle refills. Seems happier with the teddy there.

Will get a picture in the morning as lighting isn’t very good and don’t want to disturb her with flash.

#6 ·
Comfort Felidae Electric blue Cloud Serveware

Shes still with us :) getting stronger too and has been moving about a bit more. Managed to clean the blood from her beak and around her eye as it was half glued shut (her eye, not beak).

Still not overly eager to eat but I’ve been putting feed on the side of her mouth and allowing her to take it in when she’s ready. Takes a while to get a good amount of food in her but it’s the only thing that’s working!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.