Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was out at my horses barn and I found a baby pigeon lying on the ground. What I assume was the mom was lying on the ground dead hy it. I took it in and have it in a cage. I went to the store and bought some kaytee exact to feed the bird. But he just fights me when I try to feed him. I know he is hungry because he is pecking and flapping his wings and his crop is empty but he won’t take the food. Any ideas how old he is? He can walk but can’t fly yet and still has most of his baby feathers, ohoto attached.

He loves cuddling and likes to sit in the crease of my arm to sleep

Attachments

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
He is too old for the cut-off syringe method. You will need to handfeed him defrosted green peas. Defrost in lukewarm water till soft. Put him on your lap against your body (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out you need to put it deeper. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one.

It's easy once you get the hang of it. Feed 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Let the crop empty inbetween. Peas have a lot of moisture. You can teach him to drink water by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Looks like 2 1/2 weeks old. They quickly learn to eat peas by themselves after handfeeding for a day or two. When he starts eating the peas, you can add some small seeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts