Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I live on a street in Barcelona that is very hostile toward pigeons : ( so this is not the first time I've had a baby out there. They must know I'm cool with them. This time the mama laid her egg in a plant pot. During the night 2 pigeons (presumably mama and papa) hung out on a nearby balcony and then sometimes the mama would sit on her egg. I didn't think it would hatch, but it did and the baby seems healthy. The problem is that I think the mother has left it there. Either the mother or father comes to visit occasionally (like last night there was one adult pigeon sitting where the mama and papa used to. So I don't see the baby getting food or trying to use its wings to fly. The other day I put some water out there but I don't think the baby has touched it. Today I cooked some millet and put it near the baby, but I don't see it eating. The baby is in a hard to access place and seems to try to make me go away when I approach with a long handled spoon : ) I suppose I should just wait and trust the process, but I would hate to have to watch that cute thing die if there were something I could do to help. Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
How old is the baby now?

Does it look alert?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he's about 2 weeks old (if it's a he). He looks alert, yes. And there was an adult in the plant pot with him today cleaning him! It made me happy because it looked like they were doing that teach-the-baby-to-fly ritual they do and baby was chirping away. So I am hoping that they keep coming to visit. Hopefully they are bringing food. Just looks so lonely out there all day. There used to be a lot of pigeons around here, but the neighbors have driven them out and now there are not, so baby is all alone most of the day. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It sounds as if the parents are doing their job, they should look after him for a while even after he fledges and he will meet and mingle with other pigeons.

It is a tragedy that all over the world pigeons are being ill treated and false information spread about them. Cities without pigeons are sad, barren places.

Thank you for watching out for this little one, continue to keep an eye on him, just in case!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much, Feefo. Good to know that they will probably maintain contact with their baby : ) I will certainly keep an eye on him (in fact, I con't stop peeking out there to see how he is!) I am already sad that the neighbors have chased all the pigeons off our street. Seems lonely without them. But right on the other side of the building there are tons of them in open plazas. The ones on this street are probably happier over there in the sun without noisy construction and hostile humans : ) Just hoping baby can hang in long enough to learn how to fly and get over there in the sun ; ) Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll keep you posted! He's out of the planter today and walking around. Put some food and water out but he doesn't touch it. Mama (or whoever) came by for a visit. Lots of chirping : )

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello Barcelona
If you need any help for this baby pigeon, call me or send me a message: 617702269

i have no internet connection for the moment, see my mails every 2-3 days: [email protected]
in case of urgency better call :)

there is a community of pigeon lovers in Barcelona I can appeal on if ever you need help

Myriam (Santuario para palomas Lapalomatriste, province of Castellon)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much Myriam! The mother seems to be coming around and feeding and encouraging flight, so I think all should be okay. I've saved your number for future reference! Great to know there are pigeon-lovers in Spain : ) Thank you so much for your kindness toward pigeons. Sonia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts