Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run an Exotic Bird rescue, so every child in town brings me babies they kidnap or find on the ground :(.

I have a 13 to 14 day old pigeon here that I am hand feeding. He is alert, so alert I have dubbed him AD. I have a couple of questions. One, I am not used to a crop that looks and feels like a balloon, how do you tell when they have had enough, it always looks big to me, how much do you feed a baby that age? The first two days he was here, he cried constantly, so I don't think I was feeding enough. Day three I switched up to a larger syringe, he seems to settle down more after feeding, which worried me. Yeah ok, I am a worry wart, worry if he cries, worry if he is quiet. He has gone from 146 grams to 214 grams in just a couple of days. He has a heating pad and he seems to love to be held. What else can you tell me, that I might need to know?

Is it true that even after he is released, he will stay here?

Thank you

Sherri
Raven's Haven Exotic Bird Rescue

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Do you have any pictures that you can post? The most important things are don't overfeed and don't feed until crop is empty. I assume you're feeding Kaytee Exact?
I personally never measure out how much I'm feeding. I just feed em' till thier full.........here's a couple of pictures of babies of mine that would be about the same age as yours and what their crops look like after being fed by the parents.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
You're right...........it looks to be about 2 weeks old. Most likely, no, the baby won't be wild but will become very attached to you. They make great pets. There are some threads on here about releasing them back to the wild. I'll find them for you, but I'm not the one to give instructions on that aspect. You might want to cut back just a bit on the food. They're little crop CAN get stretched out..........my parent birds stuff their babies until I'm sure they're going to pop, but I don't ever feed mine that much. I'd rather feed 5 or 6 times and feed less, than feed 4 times and stuff them.
Can you tell us where you are? Maybe someone would be willing to take it from you and give it a home? That's if you aren't interested in keeping it.
Here's the thread on releasing
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=11919

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.