Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pigeon family at my balcony.
The parents have two pigeons, now they're fledglings.
But the mom only feeds the stronger fledgling not the other one.
The stronger fledgling pushed the other fledgling down from the nest.
We put it back up but it got pushed down again.
We bought bird food for it but the mom eats it only a few times.
The baby is starving and I don't know what to do.
It's so scared of me.
Only once after it fell down it got fed.
There are many other birds trying to attack their nest.
We have built a little box nest full of newspaper for the weak fledgling.
We have sometimes sandstorms here at Abu Dhabi. Like one today.
Should I feed it?:confused:
Should I touch hold it?:confused:
Should I bring it in?:confused:
What should I do?:confused:
Please give me some ideas, that will help a lot.
Also some recipes for making bird food. Also how to take care of it..also some cute white baby pigeon names PLS....

Thanks!,

Jessica9

P.S. Please reply!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
The easiest thing is to rob the larger baby from the nest for a few hours so that the smaller one can get fed. You can just put him in a box for the incarceration period for a few hours every day, if possible.

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If you bring it inside, you will need to hand feed it. Do you have access to a pet shop that may carry the formula? Do you know when the babies were hatched? How many weeks?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The easiest thing is to rob the larger baby from the nest for a few hours so that the smaller one can get fed. You can just put him in a box for the incarceration period for a few hours every day, if possible.

Pidgey
I agree with the instructions Pidgey has given you to try. The easiest, and safest, thing to to would be to remove the larger baby for a few hours at a time a few times a day, to allow the parents to concentrate their focus on feeding the smaller baby. Just keep the larger baby in a small box with paper towels, or a small folded terry cloth towel, on the bottom and keep the box in a warm area. Hopefully doing this for a few days will allow the smaller one to catch up.

Good luck with them,

Karyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you sure?

Are you sure guys that is a really good idea?:confused:
Please give me more options...:)
But thanks a lot guys, it helps a lot if there are no more options I will go with you guys.
Thanks!;)
Jessica9:p

P.S. I will try tomorrow and let you guys know, Thanks!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Jessica, I know you are new here and so until you get to know better who is offering you advice, you may wonder just how good the advice is. Pidgey may be our most experienced and knowledgeable rehabber here, and as he says this is way we do things on a regular basis with our own personal birds to give the "runt" a chance to catch up. The advice is sound and as I mentioned before it's the safest thing to try first, as trying to hand feed a baby pigeon can be problematic for someone with no prior experience. This should work, but if for some reason it does not, there are other more involved options, but let's try the simplest first. Also, if you could post up a photo of both of these little guys, this would be good.

Karyn

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I had a rescued-as-a-baby and hand-raised feral male pigeon (Wieteke) lure a feral female (Mamieke) into our apartment, and raise several pairs of babies in various nests on our wardrobe.

Of one pair of squeakers, one was smaller and not aggressive enough to get his share, and he was falling behind in weight compared to his nest mate. I snuck the smaller one out when the feral female was outside, and gave it supplementary feedings for a few days (including doses of liquid pigeon vitamin formula). It got stronger, and surprised the mother pigeon with its energy and aggressiveness. She looked at it like "What's going on with you?" Both parents resumed feeding it equal doses. The stronger squeaker was protective of its sibling, and both squeakers took up lives on the street.

My point is that it doesn't always take a lot to make a difference.

Pidgey has lots of experience, and doing it his way sounds easier than the way I did it. I was afraid tat if I removed one of the squeakers and the feral mother noted my interference, she might be scared off from coming inside to tend to the babies, since the nesting site was not in a place she would have normally chosen.

Larry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You

Thanks for the ideas...:D
I will post a picture but I don't know how...I am a new incomer.:rolleyes:
Also the weak baby ate some of the hard seeds even though the mother never taught her..:eek:

Thanks!

Jessica9;)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Jessica, here are instruction for posting a photo:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=525049&postcount=15

Thanks for letting us know the smaller one is trying to self-feed. I forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to leave a seed and water dish out for the parents, as it will make their life quite a bit easier if they do not have to go and forage for food for the little ones, plus as you observed, the little ones will learn to self-feed quicker with a ready source of the right food available and their parents to watch as they eat.

Karyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Already did that!

I already gave a cup full of water and a dish full of seeds , Karyn.
They also eat a lot and spill.
Also, How do they drink water?:confused: Will the baby die by drinking water?:confused: It said on the Internet they would.:eek:

Jessica9;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I already gave a cup full of water and a dish full of seeds , Karyn.
They also eat a lot and spill.
Also, How do they drink water?:confused: Will the baby die by drinking water?:confused: It said on the Internet they would.:eek:

Jessica9;)

Thanks!
Jessica, glad to hear your are providing some extra support for them. No, if a baby drinks water on its own, with no help, it will not die, it just means it's at an age it can now do so on its own. The problem sometimes with baby pigeons is where a care giver tries to help the bird drink in a number of incorrect ways or tries to give the bird water incorrectly by syringe and the bird accidentally aspirates water into it's respiratory tract, sometimes the result is immediate death or that pneumonia may develop from the aspiration. If these little guys are going to the water dish and drinking by themselves, all is well.

Karyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Please

Guys:p,

Please reply to my new thread,"How do you wash a wild fledgling/nestling Pigeon?" under this group thing. Also," Limping Pigeon" under sick injured bird.:confused:

Thanks!;)
Jessica9:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts