Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello today ive bought 7 white homer pigeons and 5 grey racing pigeons. The racing pigeons have 3 babies that came along with them but i am not sure which babies belong to which pigeons. i know that there is 4 paired pigeons and one male who is not paired and i am not sure who should feed the babies they are about 3-4 weeks old but one baby is significantly smaller than the others. are the babies able to keep warm by themselves now or do parents have to sit on them still? and also when will i be able to allow to let the pigeons out of the loft to fly them the guy i bought it from said i should keep them in 2 - 3 weeks before i let them out.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Parents don't sit on babies at this age and they have feathers to keep themselves warm but they must not be weaned yet. So it is wrong time to shift them while they are still feeding youngsters. With these six pairs, there are three babies? and you don't know who belongs to which pair then how are they being fed? If you keep all of them together, other pigeons could peck and hurt the babies don't belong to them.
How are you keeping them? all together? Or in separate nest boxes? How are the babies being fed? Due to stress of relocation parents might abandon the babies. You have to monitor if anyone is feeding their baby then you can understand about his parents and keep that pair and baby together which is quite difficult as needs to be monitored all the time. They should not starve in the mean time.
To be on safe side, I would feed the babies defrosted frozen peas thawed under warm water to get them to normal temperature around 30 peas three times a day by opening their beaks and putting in one by one so they don't starve. Also I would monitor them and separate if any pigeon pecks at them or hurts them. Without supervision they are at risk of getting hurt or even killed as they can't escape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you please explain what weaning is andi got these pigeons about 3 hours ago so i do not know if their parents are feeding right now i have separated the 4 racing pigeons into a another loft and ive placed all 3 babies in one large nest bowl so they can keep warm by sharing body heat ive also put the known pair in the same box hoping that they will feed their own babies and also adopt the other baby pigeon

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Weaning is when they start eating on their own and don't need parents for being fed. They start weaning at around 3-4 weeks.
Can you pls post a pic of the babies to have an idea of their age?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Oh yes they are about the same age as you said. But if you see parents aren't feeding them, you will have to hand feed so get peas ready with you.
They don't abandon their babies at this age but due to relocation they are so stressed some time they even don't eat for a while so how will they remember youngsters. That's why we never shift breeding pairs or unless prepared to hand feed if have babies. Are parents eating and drinking? Keep the seed and water bowls near parents all the time and keep monitoring. Most likely you will have to hand feed at least one who doesn't belong to them, may be the smallest one as bigger ones will compete over him in asking for feed but nothing can be said for sure. I never faced such situation.
See who is getting fed. If no one, feed all of them. Their crop should be full. Google for how full crop looks like. Crop is below the chest where food goes, that seems protruding when full and flat when empty.

Did the owner tell you at least this pair is raising two of those three babies? This all should have been communicated clearly. He seems so irresponsible to not communicate you the whole thing and sell them while raising kids. Sad for the babies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright i will start monitering closely now thanks for your help and when do you think ill be able to let all the new pigeons out of the loft so they could fly?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you have got adult homers they will less likely rehome. Homers fly back to their original homes where they were born and raised. If young like a month old or so they will.
Did you ask the seller how old homers are?
For others you have to keep them in an enclosure they have an access of outside world from so they could imprint on the area and recognize their home as safety, food and shelter.

These parents seem like racing homers too? If so, they will fly back to their original homes when opened.
Somebody else will tell better about their breeds though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he said that the racers are about 1 and a half years old and the white homers about 8 months??? i thought pigeons come back home if you leave them in the loft for a while ive done it before with feral pigeons??

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Homers aren't like feral pigeons. Many pigeons do relocate pigeons like tipplers, rollers, tumblers etc. But homers can be rehomed only when they are young else they fly back to their previous home they were born and raised in. How far the seller lives from you?

Also, it would be good if you post pics of both of your pigeon species I mean white and grey in a new thread in "homing and racing pigeons" section so someone can tell you better about their breeds.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You will definitely need to hand feed one or two, depending on how much the parents are feeding them, they normally only have 2 babies to feed, and the extra stress of the move isn't helping.

Stress can also cause any bad bacteria to overtake good bacteria, a good probiotic would be very beneficial for mom and dad and the kids. It will help crowd out bad bacteria due to stress.

Keep a close eye on them, check their crops after parents have fed them, especially the smaller one.

Here is the link on hand feeding frozen peas, that have been thawed, warmed and drained:http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/peasandcorn.htm

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Whoever gave you these birds, should be shot. They don't care a bit about their birds. I doubt that the pair will feed the third baby. Can you not try finding out which set of parents he goes to? I would try introducing him to the pairs and watch for a reaction from them. But you can't just leave him with a pair until you are sure. Even with the poor things matched up correctly, they may not take care of them, as the move has made them too upset. Even where you have left the extra baby, they could injure him, as he doesn't belong with their babies. You need to watch and be on top of this very closely or you are going to have problems. Buy the frozen peas and get ready to take over the feeding. Here's how.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have been monitoring the babies and im pretty sure the parents have abandoned all 3 of the babies:( . ive fed the baby pigeons in the morning but not with peas i used a pen tube filled with seed and put it in the pigeons mouth here is the video on how i did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7qxy2bA-0

and then after i gave them water.

the original owners house is about 40 km away from me but that is in the car so the pigeons dont have to take road ways they could just fly straight towards the location. Is there any chance that these birds will decide to stay because i really like pigeons for flying so it would be disappointing if i couldnt let them or see them fly

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I don't like that way of feeding. I would be afraid of choking them, or something going down the wrong tube.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Agree with Jay and how did you make them drink? In the same way as video shows. Babies can easily aspirate and die.
When yours are more than two weeks old, you can easily feed them defrosted peas as advised, you won't have to make them drink water after that as peas have good moisture in them.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts